Armed Subject/Disruptive Subject/Aggravated Assault/Active Shooter
If there is an armed individual on campus, the TJC Police Department is trained to deal with this incident and will respond immediately upon notification.
- Immediately move to a safe location.
- Call Campus Police at 903-510-2222 as quickly as you can.
- Stay calm, and provide information about your location, the suspect and any injuries.
- Stay on the phone until the dispatcher tells you to hang up.
- Alert others, if you can do so safely.
- Stay in a safe place until you are notified that the emergency is over.
- Give the dispatcher the following information:
- Building/site name and location.
- Your name and phone number.
- Exact location and number of shooters.
- Description of shooter, type of weapon, number of hostages, if any.
- Number and location of injured persons.
Leave the area. If there is an accessible escape path, attempt to leave the premises. Be sure to:
- Have an escape route and plan in mind
- Evacuate regardless of whether others agree to follow.
- Leave your belongings behind.
- Help others escape, if possible.
- Prevent individuals from entering an area where the active shooter may be.
- Keep your hands visible.
- Follow the instructions of any police officer.
- Do not attempt to move wounded people.
- Call 911 or Campus Police at 903-510-2222 when you are safe.
If evacuation is not possible, find a place to hide where the active shooter is less likely to find you. Your hiding place should:
- Be out of the active shooter’s view.
- Provide protection if shots are fired in your direction (i.e., an office with a closed and locked door).
- Not trap you or restrict your options for movement.
To prevent an active shooter from entering your hiding place:
- Lock the door.
- Blockade the door with heavy furniture.
If the active shooter is nearby:
- Lock the door.
- Silence your cell phone and/or pager.
- Turn off any source of noise (i.e., radios, televisions).
- Spread out as much as possible.
- Hide behind large items (i.e., cabinets, desks).
- Remain quiet.
If evacuation and hiding out are not possible:
- Remain calm.
- Dial 911 or Campus Police at 903-510-2222 if possible, to alert police of the active shooter’s location.
- If you cannot speak, leave the line open and allow the dispatcher to listen.
As a last resort, take action against the shooter by:
- Acting as aggressively as possible against him/her.
- Throwing items and improvising weapons.
- Committing to your actions.
When the police arrive, they may not know who the shooter(s) are. Since perpetrators have been known to hide in the crowd, it is important to obey all law enforcement commands. Officers may order everyone to raise their hands or even place handcuffs on them. This is done for safety reasons to prevent further injury and possible escape by the perpetrator(s).
Terms you should know:
LOCKDOWN: A term used to describe an emergency procedure that controls or restricts access to buildings for safety reasons. Because TJC has numerous buildings, an open campus, public streets, and a state highway that bisects the property, it is not possible to lock down the entire campus. However, it is possible to lockdown specific buildings.
SUSPEND NORMAL OPERATIONS: A term used when the College temporarily suspends normal operations and activities. The suspension occurs if there is a significant emergency or dangerous situation (i.e. severe weather). The suspension generally includes academic classes/instruction, business operations, sporting events, conferences, socials and outdoor activities. During a suspension of normal operations and activities, essential personnel (as determined by the circumstances) continue to provide needed services until the significant emergency or dangerous situation has been resolved.