As one of the largest music programs at a two-year college in Texas, we graduate students every year who are ready to excel at the university level and beyond.
Universities actively recruit TJC Music majors, and our students transfer all over the United States. At TJC you'll have performance opportunities as a freshman and sophomore that you won't get anywhere else.
Areas of Concentration
the Piano Faculty provide students with numerous opportunities to excel in artistic and technical studies, while providing a variety of master class and performance opportunities.
TJC vocal majors develop strong technical and performance skill which have helped them find admittance into many of the top music schools in the nation, like the Boston Conservatory, Yale, S…
Students of Frank Kimlicko have opportunities to perform within the guitar ensemble and as soloists, traveling to Spain, as well as performing in a variety of guitar master classes and compe…
Woodwind, Brass, and Percussion students gain experience in multiple ensemble styles, as well as honing their solo instrument with exceptional professors, guest artists and master classes, e…
Students may enroll in Concert Choir, Chamber Singers, Harmony and Understanding, Guitar Ensemble, Collaborative Piano, Marching Band, Symphonic and Wind Ensembles, Percussion ensembles, and…
Calendar of Events
Professors in the Music Department are active performers and experienced educators.
Who We Are
- Dr. Gjergji Gaqi, Professor - Music/Piano
- Dr. James Henderson, Professor - Voice/Director - Choral Music
- Frank Kimlicko, Professor - Music
- Tom McGowan, Assistant Director of Bands/Professor - Percussion
- Dr. Steven Meier, Assistant Director of Bands, Woodwinds
- Heather Mensch, Assistant Director of Bands/Professor - Low Brass
- Jeanie Oxler, Professor - Vocal Music/Department Chair - Music
- Charles Praytor, Professor - Piano/Music
- Jeremy Strickland, Director - Bands/Professor - Music
- Andrea Trent, Professor - Voice
- Micah Bell, Professor - Music, Trumpet
What Our Students Say
"The staff of the music department will always be very close to my heart. My voice teacher is still one of the most influential people in my life because I use the techniques she taught me every day on the job directing middle school choir in Tyler ISD. Upon leaving TJC I was more than equipped to enter SMU at the same level as the other juniors there."
Choir Director, Three Lakes Middle School
"TJC prepared me in such a way that I am now an Opera Performance student of the Purchase College Conservatory of Music at the State University of New York in Purchase, New York. Upon arrival at my new institution, I knew without a doubt, I would never be here today without all I have gained from my alumni."
Julianne E. Casey
Student, State University of New York at Purchase