As one of the largest music programs at a two-year college in Texas, the TJC Music program produces graduates well prepared to excel at the university level and beyond. Our faculty features world-class musicians with high expectations who care about every student's growth and well-being.
We train our music students to be academically responsible, community-focused, and skilled at performing. Our goal is to provide top-quality ensemble experiences that rival any four-year university. Universities actively recruit our talented students, who transfer all over the United States to continue their music studies.
The TJC Music Department would like to invite interested and qualified students to audition for music scholarship opportunities and entrance into our many outstanding music ensembles.
Please follow the link below to fill out the information form and then email the Music Department Chair, Heather Mensch, for more details. We look forward to hearing you perform soon!
Heather Mensch, Music Department Chair
Areas of Concentration
Woodwind, Brass, and Percussion students gain experience in multiple ensemble styles, as well as honing their solo instrument with exceptional professors, guest artists and master classes, e…
TJC vocal majors develop strong technical and performance skill which have helped them find admittance into many of the top music schools in the nation, like the Boston Conservatory, Yale, S…
Professors in the Music Department are active performers and experienced educators.
Who We Are
- Heather Mensch, Prof - Trombone & Jazz/Prof/Department Chair - Music
- Dr. Eddie Airheart, Professor - Music
- Micah Bell, Professor - Music/Trumpet & Jazz
- Robert Boren, Director of Choral Music
- Dr. Daniel Chapa, Professor - Music/Euphonium & Tuba
- Julie Crawford, Staff Technician - Humanities - Communication and Fine Arts
- Stephanie Johnson, Professor of Music (Duration)
- Frank Kimlicko, Professor - Music
- Kaden Larson, Professor of Piano & Music
- Tom McGowan, Professor - Music/Director of Percussion Studies
- Charles Praytor, Professor - Piano/Music
- Jeremy Strickland, Director - Bands/Professor - Music
- Andrea Trent, Professor - Voice
Adjunct Music Faculty
- Shane Almendarez, Strings
- George Faber, American Music
- Emmanuel Flores, Music Appreciation
- Jessica Ogilvie, Music Appreciation
- Phil Rumbley, Electric Bass & Double Bass
- Tammy White, French horn
What Our Students Say
"The staff of the music department will always be very close to my heart. My voice teacher is still one of the most influential people in my life because I use the techniques she taught me every day on the job directing middle school choir in Tyler ISD. Upon leaving TJC I was more than equipped to enter SMU at the same level as the other juniors there."
Choir Director, Three Lakes Middle School
"TJC prepared me in such a way that I am now an Opera Performance student of the Purchase College Conservatory of Music at the State University of New York in Purchase, New York. Upon arrival at my new institution, I knew without a doubt, I would never be here today without all I have gained from my alumni."
Julianne E. Casey
Student, State University of New York at Purchase
Test Performing ArtsRead More
Music, theatre, dance and more!
Test Harmony & UnderstandingRead More
Harmony & Understanding
Harmony & Understanding is TJC's performance vocal group.
Test Apache BandRead More
For over 75 years, the Apache Band has entertained audiences in East Texas and around the…