Majoring in History isn’t just about the past; it’s about where we came from and where we’re going. A degree in History will give you a broad analytical skill set recognized by universities and employers. History majors research, interpret and analyze historical events and data, but only a small percent of majors end up being professional historians.
A degree in history will make you a more well-rounded person with a concrete understanding of culture. Many of our History majors go on to four-year universities and law schools.
Why Choose History at TJC?
- Highly credentialed and experienced faculty. We have more Ph.D.'s than any other department at TJC.
- Affordable tuition & textbooks.
- Low student-faculty ratio. Face-to-face classes capped at 35; online at 32; many with fewer than 20.
- Six courses in the Core Curriculum.
- 100+ declared History majors.
- Fully-online Associate of Arts in History.
- Extensive dual-credit programs provided at 17 dual-credit campuses: Arp, Alba-Golden, Bullard, Chapel Hill, Cumberland Academy, Grand Saline, Hawkins, John Tyler, Lindale, Mineola, Quitman, Robert E. Lee, Rusk, Troup, Winona, Van, Yantis, and two Early College high schools.
- History courses are available in the TJC Presidential Honors Program.
- Classes offered in regular terms, 8-week, 12-week, Wintermester, May Term, & Midsummer.
Studying history at TJC can be a great start to your academic career. Our program provides you with the first two years of United States History and Western Civilization coursework. In addition to that, we offer a broad selection of liberal arts courses that will make transferring to a four-year institution stress-free.
Our faculty members are highly credentialed and experienced. Our full-time faculty includes History Ph.D.'s, from LSU, Oklahoma, Tulane, & Mississippi State. We have the largest faculty cohort of Ph.D.'s on campus. Our faculty present papers at scholarly conferences, conduct research, write book reviews for scholarly journals, and belong to leading historical associations. We share our content knowledge with students and the public, and contribute to our campus and community through donations and volunteer work.
Who We Are
- Donna Belt, Professor - History
- Robert Brooks, Professor - Geography and History
- Shannon Cross, Professor - History
- Dr. Peter Jones, Professor - History
- Dr. Jeffrey Owens, Professor - History/Department Chair - History/Geography
- Dr. Kahne Parsons, Professor - History
- Stephen Stine, Professor - History
- Dr. Wilm Kirk Strawbridge, Professor - History
- Dr. Kyle Welty, Professor, History
- Justin Liles, Professor, History
Our degree in Government effectively prepares you to major in political science or government at a University level.
Economists form the backbone of all business and government – they analyze data and trends…
Majoring in Sociology provides valuable insights into the ways race, ethnicity, gender, ag…