The primary purpose of the Dance Program is to provide students seeking associate degrees or transfer credit in dance with technical training and performance experience. Additional purposes are to provide historical knowledge and appreciation of the art form and offer cultural enrichment opportunities to all students and community members through class offerings and the production of varied public performances. The curriculum provides a comprehensive approach to learning dance by integrating the aesthetics, historical, critical, cultural, and fundamental aspects of dance as an art form. You may also check out the Academy of Dance page.
- Dance (AA)
Ballet: These courses emphasize proper body placement as it applies to the technique of classical ballet. Ballet vocabulary and proper execution of classical ballet exercises and steps are stressed, along with a knowledge of the history and development of ballet in Europe and the United States.
Modern Dance: This course explores the technique of Modern Dance by using structures, alignment, breathing/relaxation and dynamics of movement. Various styles of movement are presented and used in class.
Jazz: This course focuses on technique of contemporary music and its effect on style, rhythm and dynamics, in both solo and group work, and employs the many elements of dance that comprise current movement styles.
Tap: This course emphasizes technique. The class introduces rhythm and coordination exercises that develop into extended choreography pieces using past and present elements of tap dance.
See our related downloads for the scholarship information, the handbook for dance majors, the Dance Department newsletter, and the Academy of Dance Brochure.
See our Performance Opportunities page for more information about Nutcracker, DanceFest, and the Student/Faculty Recital.
Scholarship for Dance Students Information
Scholarships are awarded to deserving students each year. Awarded monies are determined by financial need, work ethic during audition, and the potential for improvement in technique and performance skills. See our related downloads for the application and recommendation form.
- Audition for Dance Department Scholarships will be held Friday, May 6 2016 at 5:30 p.m. in the OHPE studio #125
- Audition will consist of small ballet, modern, and jazz movement. Please bring all appropriate shoes, and wear a black leotard and black tights. (Men wear black top and bottom.)
- Please contact Carolyn Hanna, firstname.lastname@example.org or 903-510-2483 for more information.
- Ballet Class Attire:
- For Women - Black leotard, pink tights, ballet slippers, and hair pulled back.
- For Men - White shirt, black jazz pants, and black ballet slippers.
- Jazz, Modern, Tap Attire: Loose fitting clothing, and tap and/or jazz shoes.