Vocational nurse graduates contribute to the plan of care by collaborating with the interdisciplinary team members and with the patient's family. You will readily integrate technical skills and use of computers and equipment into practice. Vocational nurses represent the beginning level of the nursing practice continuum in the roles of Member of the Profession, Provider of Patient-Centered Care, Patient Safety Advocate, and Member of the Health Care Team.
When: April 6
TJC Nursing will be hosting our April 6 Nursing Information Session online via Zoom!
This is a great opportunity to learn about our different programs, your first steps toward submitting an application and what to expect as an Apache Nursing student.
Download the Zoom App and connect using the link below. We look forward to meeting you!
Nursing Information Session - Zoom Meeting
IMPORTANT UPDATE | LVN Fall 2020 Admission Period
TJC is currently operating in a limited capacity in response to COVID-19. The situation is being monitored daily, and plans are subject to change based on information provided by local, state and national authorities, with the continued focus on educational continuity and community well-being.
Updates to the upcoming Vocational Nursing Admission Period are:
- All Fall 2020 Vocational Nursing applications must be submitted via the online submission form ONLY. This will provide a convenient way for students to submit their application and limit disruption to the admission process.
An updated Vocational Nursing Admission Packet has been developed to help guide you with your application. All required documents are included in the new packet (The application forms are the same, so if you have already completed the forms you can still use them).
- The Fall 2020 Admission Period has been extended to May 8, 2020. The online submission form will open at 0800 on 04/01/2020 and will close at 1130 on 05/08/2020. This will accommodate applicants who are currently unable to complete the ATI TEAS exam.
- The expiration date of completed ATI TEAS scores has been increased to two years. ATI TEAS scores completed within the last 24 months will be accepted for the Fall 2020 Admission Period ONLY.
- Applicants who are unable to complete ATI TEAS testing and/or do not have valid TEAS scores before May 8, 2020 can still submit an application for the fall 2020 Vocational Nursing program.
When TJC Testing resumes scheduling for the ATI TEAS exam, applicants will be required to complete the exam to be considered for selection. TJC Nursing will provide as much assistance as possible to these applicants during this period.
The online submission form requires you to log in using your TJC Office 365 account. Instructions on how to log in are included in the new Admission Packet. If you have problems logging in to your Office 365 account, submit an IT Service Ticket, then notify the Nursing office at LVNAdmissions@tjc.edu.
How to Apply
The next application period for Vocational Nursing is April 1, 2020 through April 22, 2020 at 11:30 AM. The ATI TEAS Exam may be scheduled at www.tjctesting.setmore.com. Please see the ATI TEAS exam scheduling guidelines.
Why Choose Vocational Nursing
With facilities in Tyler, Rusk and Lindale, the VN program is a convenient option for much of the East Texas area.
Our brand new Robert M. Rogers Nursing & Health Sciences building includes three floors of high tech training equipment.
Excellent Job Placement
Located in the heart of the medical district in Tyler, TJC provides an excellent gateway into hospital, home health and other healthcare professions.
Vocational Nursing is expected to grow by 16% over the next 10 years.
Nursing, Vocational (LVN) (Certificate)
Our Vocational Nursing (VN) program is designed to prepare you to provide nursing care within a directed scope of practice under appropriate supervision. Once graduated, you will be able to use a systematic problem-solving process in the care of multiple patients with predictable health care needs to provide individualized, goal-directed nursing care.
Successful completion of TJC's VN curriculum leads to a Certificate of Proficiency. After successful completion of the curriculum, graduates are qualified to apply for the National Council Licensure Exam for Licensed Vocational Nurses.
Only students who have completed a program of education approved by the State Board of Nursing and who have successfully passed the state licensing examination are authorized to practice as licensed vocational nurses.
Who We Are
- Kelly Cobb, Professor, Vocational Nursing
- Jodi Seal, Department Chair - Associate Degree and Vocational Nursing
- Pauline Verma, Director, Vocational Nursing
- Rayjeana Logan, Professor - Vocational Nursing
- Genny Kilgore, Professor, Vocational Nursing
- Laura Kelly, Professor, Vocational Nursing
- Leslie Morrison, Professor, Vocational Nursing
- Kay Devereux, Professor, Vocational Nursing
- Cheryl Holcomb, Professor - Vocational Nursing
- Jennifer Duck, Professor, Vocational Nursing
- Rebecca Allen, Professor - Vocational Nursing
- Sara Luce, Professor, Vocational Nursing
- Pamela Hopkins, Professor - Vocational Nursing
- Carla Biondillo, Professor, Vocational Nursing
For students in this program who may have a criminal background, please be advised that the background could keep you from being licensed by the State of Texas. If you have a question about your background and licensure, please speak with your faculty member or the department chair. You also have the right to request a criminal history evaluation letter from the applicable licensing agency.