Using Your Benefits For Continuing Studies (Non-Credit Courses) | Using Your Benefits For Continuing Studies (Non-Credit Courses) | TJC

Using Your Benefits For Continuing Studies (Non-Credit Courses)

Military benefits are also available for state-approved non-credit courses that lead to a vocational certification through TJC’s Office of Continuing Studies.  Courses and programs are approved annually (Click Here for a list of approved courses/programs).

Note: All required documentation for benefit consideration must be received by the Veteran and Military Services Office no later than one week before classes start to guarantee certification of classes. Please allow up to 10 days after all documents are received to confirm eligibility for benefits.

How Do I Apply for Benefits?

Once you have identified an approved program and completed the application process through the Office of Continuing Studies, here are the items needed to help complete the certification process so payments can begin. Please note: the steps must be repeated for each course/program enrolled in.

Applying for Any of The Chapter Benefits


Applying for the Hazlewood Exemption


  • Submit a TJC VA Enrollment Certification Request Form
  • Submission of Hazlewood Application to or in person in the Rogers Student Center (Note: This application must be signed and submitted for each term the student plans to register into.)
  • To verify eligibility for the Veteran’s or dependent’s federal education benefits, Certificates of Eligibility (CoE) may be obtained by completing an application on the Veterans Affairs website. Once received, this certificate can be emailed to or dropped off at the Rogers Student Center.
    • If the Veteran’s final discharge is prior to 9/11/2001 the Certificate of Eligibility is not required for the Veteran.
  • Registration with the Hazlewood Student Hours Online Database - Once registered, log in and print the school's Account Overview page (even if hours show zero).
  • Certificate of Separation or Discharge (DD Form 214) - The copy you provide must be legible and contain the place of entry, home of record at the time of entry, the character of service, length of service, and dates of service.
  • You can review Hazlewood FAQs Here

Note: the Hazelwood Exemption only applies to eligible veterans

Here are the certification programs approved for VA Chapter or Hazlewood Exemption benefits*

• Basic Firefighter Academy
• Basic Peace Officer Academy
• Dental Assisting with Externship
• EKG/Cardiovascular Technician
• Nurse’s Aide
• Medical Administrative Office Assistant Program with Externship
• Medical Assistant with Externship
• Medical Coding Professional Program
• Medical Billing and Coding and Medical Administration with Clinical Externship
• Pharmacy Technician with Externship
• Phlebotomy Technician
• Physical Therapy Aide
• Veterinary Assistant Program