Hazelwood Exemption (Hazelwood Act) provides an education benefit to honorably discharged or separated Texas Veterans and/or their dependent children and spouses.
Texas Veterans who have exhausted their Federal Educational Benefits may be eligible to attend Tyler Junior College under the Hazelwood Act. Texas Veterans meeting these criteria should visit with the TJC VA Coordinator for further assistance.
Hazelwood is only available for use at a Texas public college or university.
Hazelwood does not cover payment of books.
- Veterans who:
- Entered the service from Texas OR
- Were Texas residents at the time they entered the US Armed Forces OR
- Designated Texas as Home of Record
- Have served at least 181 days of active military duty, as indicated as "net active service" (the sum of 12(c) and 12(d)) on the DD214)
- Have received an Honorable Discharge or Separation or a General Discharge Under Honorable Conditions
- Have NO remaining Federal Veterans Education Benefits for semester enrolled
- Are not in default on a student loan made or guaranteed by the State of Texas
- Dependent Children and Spouses:
- Hazelwood eligibility requirements have changed. Please contact the TJC VA Coordinator for more information.