You do not have to take the TSI test if:
- You’ve graduated with an associate’s degree or higher from an accredited institution.
- You’re transferring to TJC from a private or independent institution or an accredited out-of-state higher-education institution, and you have satisfactorily completed college-level coursework.
- You have met TSI standards at an institution you’ve previously attended.
- You’re enrolling in a 1-year (level 1) certificate course.
- You’re an active-duty service member and you have completed at least three years of service.
- You’re an honorably discharged veteran, or you have retired or been release from active duty.
- You’ve taken an approved SAT, ACT, TAKS or STAAR test in the past five years and achieved the following minimum test scores:
|Test||Reading & Writing Exemption||Math Exemption|
|ACT||23 composite with 19 English||23 composite with 19 math|
|SAT (after March 5, 2016)||480 evidence-based reading and writing||530 math|
|SAT (prior to March 5, 2016)||1070 combined with 500 critical reading||1070 combined with 500 math|
2200 on the English Language Arts section with a writing subsection score of at least 3
|STAAR||Level 2 on the English III (EOC)||Level 2 on the Algebra II (E0C)|
Submit your test scores to the Admissions Office to be qualified for an exemption.
An institution may exempt a non-degree-seeking or non-certificate-seeking student.
ESOL Waiver--An institution may grant a temporary waiver from the assessment required under this title for students with demonstrated limited English proficiency in order to provide appropriate ESOL/ESL coursework and interventions. The waiver must be removed prior to the student attempting 15 credit hours of developmental ESOL coursework or attempting entry-level freshman coursework, whichever comes first, at which time the student would be administered the TSI Assessment. Funding limits as defined in Texas Education Code, §51.3062(l)(1) and (2) for developmental education still apply.
Any student who has been determined to be exempt in mathematics, reading, and/or writing under subsection A or B of this section shall not be required to enroll in developmental coursework and/or interventions in the corresponding area of exemption.