Frequently asked questions

I have a hold on my file, how to do I have this removed?

  • Advising Holds: speak to an Academic Advisor for removal of this hold.
  • Bad Address Hold: Go to the Registrar's office and complete a change of address form for removal of hold.
  • Business Service Hold: money is owed to the college and this hold can only be removed by the Business Service office.
  • Campus Safety Hold: Campus Safety will need to remove this hold. (This generally means you have a parking ticket.)
  • Financial Aid Hold: Financial Aid will need to remove this hold. If it is an Exit Counseling hold, click on the link below which will take you to the Stafford Exit Counseling page. After completing the Exit Counseling Session, you will need to contact Financial Aid and give them your confirmation number and resubmit your transcript request to the Registrar's office.
  • Transcript Hold: a high school or college transcript from your previous institution(s) has not been received. In order to lift this hold we must receive the transcript(s) from those listed institutions that have caused the hold. TJC allows for one (1) academic semester of enrollment while waiting on the official transcript(s). However, you will not be able to register for the following semester or obtain a TJC transcript until all transcripts are received.