Health Information Technology
Prepare for a career that combines healthcare and technology to make a real impact in patients' experience. As a health information technology professional, you will play a vital role in ensuring the accuracy, accessibility, quality, and security of patient health records. They are vital to the daily operations management of health information and electronic health records (EHR).
This degree combines elements of health science, information technology, management, healthcare reimbursement and law to prepare you for this role. Our Health Information Technology Associate's degree lays the building blocks for career growth, further education, and a future in management.
What Jobs Can I Pursue with A HIT Associate's Degree?
- Health Information Technician
- Release of Information Specialist
- Coding/Billing Specialist
- Revenue Cycle Reimbursement Specialist
- Patient Care Coordinator
- Compliance Auditor
HIT Career Opportunities in The Following Healthcare Settings:
- Hospitals and medical clinics
- Physician offices
- Long-term care facilities
- Computer software vendors
- State and local government healthcare agencies
- Insurance companies
- Curious where this degree will lead you? Go here: AHIMA - Career Map
- US Salary Survey Report for HIM Professionals in 2019
HIT Program has selective admission:
- Application cycle opens in mid-January and closes mid-April. Applications will only be accepted after this date if space is available.
- Program accepts students to start in the Fall semester and admits 20 students per year.
- Courses are online with the exception of HITT 2261-Clinical and BIOL 2401 & Biol 2402 labs.
- Utilize state-of-the-art health information technology and software
- Gain practical skills in virtual labs and a real work setting
- Graduates are eligible to sit for the national accreditation exam for Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT).
Why Choose Health Information Technology
Health Information Technology (AAS)
The healthcare industry is a great career choice because it is always highly in demand, but what if you aren’t really interested in dealing directly with patients? Become a health information technician with our online* degree program.
Medical Coding (Certificate)
Medical coding specialists play an essential role in the business of healthcare. Using alphanumeric diagnosis and procedure codes, they communicate critical information about medical conditions and treatments. Correct coding ensures proper recording of a patient's medical conditions, verification of the provider’s services, and appropriate reimbursement by payers for those services.
How to Apply
Admission to TJC does not guarantee admission to certain selective programs, including Health Information Technology. Student enrollment in these programs is limited by the following factors, including but not limited to, program capacity, clinical space, prior work experience, academic preparation, prior academic achievement, negative drug screening and a clear criminal background check. Specific application information and deadlines are available by contacting the appropriate department chair or coordinator of each program or an academic advisor.
Please contact Nancy Rendon (Nancy.Rendon@tjc.edu) for the Selective Admissions Application to apply to this program.
The HEALTH INFORMATION MANAGEMENT/HEALTH INFORMATICS accreditor of TYLER JUNIOR COLLEGE is the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM). The College’s accreditation for ASSOCIATE degree in HEALTH INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY has been reaffirmed through 2028-2029. All inquiries about the program’s accreditation status should be directed by mail to CAHIIM, 200 East Randolph Street, Suite 5100, Chicago, IL, 60601; by phone at (312) 235-3255; or by email at (http://cahiim.org).
Student Outcomes for the 2020-2021 Academic Year
- RHIT Exam Results: 80% (passing rate on national accreditation exam, 5 graduates tested and 4 passed)
- Retention Rate: 80%
- Employment - 100%
Healthcare AdministrationRead More
Our hybrid-online degree will provide you with a focus on critical thinking, information utilization and fundamental competencies in healthcare management principles.
Medical Office ManagementRead More
Medical Office Management
Learn the skills needed to manage an outpatient medical facility with our two-year hybrid/…
Our application is free! Learn how to apply to TJC and get started.
For students in this program who may have a criminal background, please be advised that the background could keep you from being licensed by the State of Texas. If you have a question about your background and licensure, please speak with your faculty member or the department chair. You also have the right to request a criminal history evaluation letter from the applicable licensing agency.