As much as anything, in the Business program we believe our approach to education is validated by the success of our alumni.
Got things you want to do? Beliefs you’re passionate about? Goals you’ve got to achieve? Business makes things happen and affects every part of our society. Whatever you want to do, understanding business will help you achieve it.
Today's business sector requires college graduates who comprehend the worldwide economy, can utilize technology to attain results, and can demonstrate both technical and critical thinking skills. A foundation in business provides the opportunities to make an impact in any career — business, law, nonprofit, medicine, politics or whatever path is chosen in the future.
The business program is designed for people who will transfer to a four-year institution to major in a business related field. Completion of an associate degree in Business at TJC allows for a smooth transition to a university or college for completion of a bachelor degree in Business in the student’s choice of major field of study
The field of study in Business degree will provide the first phase of a four-year degree program by providing a background in basic academic areas—the humanities, mathematics, the natural, social and behavioral sciences, and speech and composition. Introductory course work in accounting, economics, and information systems will be completed to provide the foundation for specialized business study later.
The combination of a broad educational foundation and specialized study will equip graduates with the skills needed to enter the work force as professionals and deal ethically and effectively with the complex problems that arise in business.
See our related downloads for course descriptions.
Why should I choose TJC for my study of Business?
- Quality education at an affordable cost. TJC is value priced!
- Flexibility of scheduling: morning and evening classes on campus and online courses allow students to design their class schedules around the responsibilities of work and family.
- Small class size: allows personal attention to answer questions specific to each student and facilitates full engagement in discussions
- Hands on experiences: students practice what they have been taught.
- Computerized learning facilities: computerized labs, online resources and emerging technologies, such as iPods, supplement learning.
- Business scholarships: in addition to general TJC scholarship opportunities, several scholarships are specific to business majors.
- Business (AA) - Field of Study
Business Program faculty
- Shelley Cross
- Mary Scarborough
- Deborah Welch
Business Adjunct faculty
- Mark Bombyk
- Nancy Francis
- John “Jack” Schnell
- Cynthia Walker
Vision Statement: Preparing business minds for academic, professional and personal success.
Mission Statement: The primary mission of the Business program at Tyler Junior College is to meet the transfer needs of students majoring in business specialized fields such as accounting, finance, entrepreneurship, international business, management (general, operational, human resource), and marketing by offering quality foundation coursework focused on student-centered learning. To fulfill this mission:
- The program requirements ensure readiness of transfer business students for upper-level coursework in the School of Business at the university level through completion of the core curriculum and core business prerequisites, following the state approved field of study in business.
- Program requirements provide full transfer of required courses so that no “leveling” courses are required before admission into the upper-level business programs, resulting in financial and time savings for the transferring student.
- Required courses are offered in multiple instructional formats (face-to-face, hybrid and online) to better meet the needs of students and better prepare them for future electronic-based academic and professional work.
- Strong academic partnerships and alliances with universities are maintained to ensure timely response to changing transfer needs and requirements regionally.
- The program focuses on teaching excellence and quality student-centered learning.
- Structure of program courses focuses on all dimensions of learning (knowledge, skills, attitudes, behaviors, values) and develops improved academic skills such as critical thinking, structured decision-making and responsibility.
- Rigor of required coursework helps students build self-esteem and confidence upon successful completion.
- Coursework incorporates activities that reinforce and support the use of professionally oriented communication (oral and written).
- Faculty encourage and foster academic mentoring with ready access during scheduled office hours and academic advising of business students.
- The program faculty pursue enhanced teaching effectiveness and disseminate knowledge on business issues through innovative learning experiences and involvement with the constituents served.
- Program faculty support education beyond the classroom by participation in professional organizations (locally, regionally and nationally) and within the College.
- Adjunct faculty representing a wide variety of professional experiences help to ensure that program course content is relevant and reflects current changes in business and the environment impacting business practice.