Complete at least two of the following four science pre-requisites with a grade of “C” or higher:
(Only courses that transfer to TJC as listed).
- BIOL 2401 Anatomy & Physiology I
- BIOL 2402 Anatomy & Physiology II
- BIOL 2420 Microbiology
- CHEM 1406 Introductory Chemistry – Allied Health Emphasis OR CHEM 1405 Introductory Chemistry I
All science courses must have been taken within 5 years prior to admission. If BIOL 2401 and BIOL 2402 were both taken more than 5 years ago, you can take and pass (with a “C” or better) BIOL 2404 Anatomy & Physiology to refresh your grades for those two specific sciences only. Your original course grade in BIOL 2401 and BIOL 2402 will be used; taking BIOL 2404 only renews the time limit on the grades, it does not replace the grades.
Courses “In progress” are not considered. Only courses with a grade will be used to calculate admission points.
Only two prerequisite sciences are required to apply to the program. But, all four prerequisite sciences must be completed by the end of the first fall semester of the Dental Hygiene Program and all sciences are required for your degree.
Degree Required Courses
- ENGL 1301 Composition I
- PSYC 2301 General Psychology OR PSYC 2314 Lifespan Growth & Development
- SOCI 1301 Introductory Sociology
- SPCH 1315 Public Speaking OR SPCH 1321 Business & Professional Communication
- PHIL 2306 Introduction to Ethics
These courses are not required to apply. However, they must be completed in order to receive your degree. Because they have a points value for the admission process, you will want to consider taking these prior to applying to the program. All non-dental hygiene degree required courses must be completed with a grade of “C” or higher.
Applicants must have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher (or hold a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college).