- The student must be currently enrolled at Tyler Junior College.
- The student must have accumulated at least twelve hours of courses leading toward an associate in arts or associate in applied science degree.
- The student must have a degree plan on file at TJC.
- The student must have a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.5 for all degree courses completed at Tyler Junior College.
- The student may not be on disciplinary probation as a result of a violation of the TJC Student Code of Conduct.
- The student must satisfy all requirements for membership stipulated by the Phi Theta Kappa Constitution and By-laws, including:
- Having established academic excellence as judged by the faculty.
- Having demonstrated that he/she is of good moral character and possess recognized qualities of citizenship. (The Phi Theta Kappa Constitution reads, "A student convicted of a felony or crime involving moral turpitude may not be considered for membership until such time, according to the statutes of the state where the crime was committed, all rights of citizenship have been restored.")
Students meeting these requirements will receive official letters of invitation during the semester following completion of requirements, provided he/she is still enrolled at Tyler Junior College. Any student failing to join within the allotted time must reestablish eligibility during a subsequent semester at TJC before being permitted to join. Students who think they satisfy all of the above requirements but do not receive letters of invitation to join Phi Theta Kappa should contact one of the faculty advisors as soon as possible after the letters have been mailed. Students who have been initiated into Phi Theta Kappa at another institution will be eligible for membership in the Alpha Omicron Chapter upon:
- Providing one of the chapter advisors with the name and location of the initiating chapter and date of initiation.
- The chapter’s advisor receiving conformation from the Phi Theta Kappa National Office that the above information is correct.
- Paying the local chapter dues and the required transfer fee.
Keep a Membership in Good Standing in the Alpha Omicron Chapter
- Maintain at least a 3.0 grade point average.
- Maintain compliance with the Tyler Junior College Student Code of Conduct.
- Maintain compliance with guidelines for membership stated in the Phi Theta Kappa Constitutions and By-laws.
- If grade point average drops below 3.0 at the end of any semester, a member will automatically be placed on probationary status for one semester.
- While on probation, a member will continue to have all rights and privileges of full membership.
- At the end of the semester, full membership will be restored if a 3.0 or higher cumulative grade point average is achieved.
Removal of Membership
- A probationary member failing to restore a 3.0 or higher cumulative grade point average at the end of the probationary semester will be dropped from the chapter and national membership rolls. A dropped member will not be eligible to wear the membership pin or stole at graduation.
- A member who violates the TJC Student Code of Conduct may lose membership status, depending on the seriousness of the offense. A committee consisting of the locally elected officers and the chapter advisors will handle each case individually.
- A provisional membership will be offered to a student who enters TJC with a 3.5 or higher cumulative grade point average and who shows interest and a willingness to serve the chapter in some special capacity.
- A provisional member may attend chapter meetings and participate in chapter projects.
- A provisional member may not vote, hold office or represent the chapter at meetings of Phi Theta Kappa.
- A provisional member will become eligible for full membership upon completing twelve credit hours and meeting all other membership requirements.