All four service branches and the U.S. Coast Guard offer financial assistance for voluntary, off-duty education programs in support of service members’ personal and professional goals. The program is open to officers, warrant officers and enlisted active-duty service personnel. In addition, members of the National Guard and Reserve Components may be eligible for TA based on their service eligibility. To be eligible for TA, an enlisted service member must have enough time remaining in service to complete the course for which he or she has applied. After the completion of a course, an officer using TA must fulfill a service obligation that runs parallel with – not in addition to – any existing service obligation.
Coverage amounts and limits
The Tuition Assistance Program may fund up to 100% of your TJC tuition and certain fees with the following limits
- Not to exceed $250 per semester credit hour or $166 per quarter credit hour
- Not to exceed $4,500 per fiscal year, Oct. 1 through Sept. 30
Tuition Assistance Benefits and Restrictions
Tuition assistance will cover the following expenses:
- Course-specific fees such as laboratory fees or online course fees
Please note: All fees must directly relate to the specific course enrollment of the service member.
Tuition assistance will not cover the following expenses:
- Books and course materials
- Taking the same course twice
- Continuing education units, or CEUs
Keep in mind that TA will not fund your TJC courses, and you will have to reimburse any funds already paid if any of the following situations occur:
- Leaving the service before the course ends
- Withdrawing from the course for reasons other than personal illness, military transfer, or mission requirements
- Failing the course
Steps To Use The Tuition Assistance Program At TJC
- Prospective student active duty military members planning on using Tuition Assistance (TA) benefits must first receive approval from their Education Service Officer (ESO), military counselor or service branch prior to enrollment.
- Following the application form and procedures identified by your branch of service:
- Once your application is approved, send your approval documentation to TJC’s Veteran and Military Services Office at Veterans@tjc.edu.
- Apply to TJC.
- After completing the admissions onboarding process, email the TJC Advising Department at TJCAdvising@tjc.edu to schedule an advising appointment and register for your courses.
- If at any time, you determine you are not able to start the course or complete the course, inform the TJC Veteran and Military Services Office at Veterans@tjc.edu so your account can be updated.