AmeriCorps is a U.S. federal government program partnering with non-profit organizations, public agencies, and faith-based organizations that was created by the National and Community Service Trust Act of 1993.
After successfully completing a term of service, AmeriCorps members who are enrolled in the National Service Trust are eligible to receive a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award. You can use your Segal AmeriCorps Education Award to pay education costs at qualified institutions of higher education, for educational training, or to repay qualified student loans. The award is $4,725 for a year of full-time service, and is prorated for part-time. You can access the award in full or part, and can take up to seven years after your term of service has ended to claim the award.
Complete program information available at Corporation for National and Community Service.
Using your Segal AmeriCorps Education Award at TJC
Individuals may use the education award at Tyler Junior College to pay for current educational expenses. Tyler Junior College does not match the award.
Current educational expenses, as authorized under 42 U.S.C. § 12604(c), include:
- The "Cost of Attendance" for a degree or certificate granting program of study at a qualified school; and
- Educational expenses for non-degree courses offered by qualified schools, such as continuing education courses.
For students taking credit classes
- Register for class.
- Request to use your education award at My AmeriCorps Online Payment System. The amount requested may not exceed your Cost of Attendance as established in accordance with federal regulations.
- Funds received from the National Service Trust will be placed on your student account and pay toward any expenses owed to the college. Any remaining funds will be disbursed to your refund selection preference with BankMobile when funds are released.
For students taking continuing education classes
- Register for class and notify the School of Continuing Studies that you will be using your education award to make payment.
- Request to use your education award at My AmeriCorps Online Payment System. The amount requested may not exceed the cost of the class including required textbooks.
- Funds received from the National Service Trust will be placed on your student account and pay toward the cost of the continuing education class.