IRS Transcript Information | IRS Transcript Information | TJC

IRS Transcript Information

Student’s chosen for verification may be required to submit student and/or parent(s) IRS Tax Transcripts to the Financial Aid Office. An IRS transcript must be requested directly from the IRS.

Using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool

The Financial Aid Office recommends that before requesting a transcript that you try using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) on your FAFSA.  If data is successfully uploaded from the FAFSA, the Financial Aid Office will no longer need the paper IRS Transcript. DO NOT change your IRS transferred data after it has been uploaded.

If you are required to enter parent information on your FAFSA, you must do two separate transfers using the IRS  DRT (one for student and one for parents). 

For students/parents that amended their tax return, were granted an extension, or filed married filing separately, the IRS Data Retrieval cannot be used. You must submit paper copies of transcripts..

Need help using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool? Visit and search “IRS Data Retrieval Tool” for resources.

How to Request an IRS Tax Return Transcript

According to the IRS website, your transcript will be mailed to you within 5-10 business days. The IRS will not mail a transcript to an address other than the one listed on your tax return.


  • Go to
  • Click the blue icon "Get Transcript Online"
  • Create an account or sign in with an already created account.
  • Select the reason for the transcript.
  • Customer File Number can be your Apache ID without the A.
  • Select the appropriate tax year under Return Transcript for a Tax Return, Account Transcript for an Amended Return, or Wage & Income Transcript for your W2/1099 records.
  • Save or print your records to provide to our office


  • Call 1-800-908-9946 and follow the automated prompts to order a tax transcript.


Do you have Unusual Circumstances for your IRS Tax Return?

Below are the documents needed for unusual circumstances:

Individuals who amended their Federal Tax Return

If an amendment has been made to your tax return, you are required to submit:

  • A copy of the tax year's IRS Tax Return Transcript (this shows the original tax return information previously filed)
  • A signed copy of the IRS Form 1040X that was filed with the IRS.

Individuals granted an extension to complete their Federal Tax Return (IRS Form 4868)

If you were granted an extension to complete your tax return by the October deadline, you are required to submit:

  • A copy of the correct tax year's IRS Form 4868 that was filed with the IRS.
  • A copy of ALL W–2s for each source of employment income. If self-employed, a signed statement certifying the amount of the individual’s AGI and the U.S. income tax paid..

Your financial aid will be awarded using estimated income information.

Once you have filed a tax return, you are required to submit an IRS Tax Return Transcript. Your new deadline to file a Federal Tax Return is October 15. If the Financial Aid Office has not received your Tax Return Transcript by this date, a hold will be placed on your account preventing any additional aid from disbursing.

After the Financial Aid Office has received your Tax Return Transcript your financial aid will be re-verified using the actual income amount reported to the IRS. It is possible for your financial aid eligibility to change following the re-verification. If your initial award caused you to be over-awarded, you will be required to return any funds that you were not eligible to receive.

Individuals who were victims of IRS identity theft

If you were a victim of IRS identity theft you are required to submit:

  • A signed copy of the appropriate tax year's paper IRS income tax return that was filed with the IRS (IRS Form 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ).
  • IRS Tax Return Database Transcript or TRDBV