1. Demonstrate minimum level interpreting skills and basic fluency between American Sign Language (ASL) to Spoken English, Spoken English to American Sign Language, and Sign Translation under the guided objective of the Texas Board for the Evaluation of Interpreters (BEI) basic performance exam @ 110 WPM, to become employable as professional certified interpreters.
2. Exhibit the ability to apply self-evaluation of interpreting skills to monitor readiness for professional realistic interpreting work in the interpreting profession.
3. Demonstrate knowledge and interpreter skills for various settings such as Kindergarten through 12th grade, Educational Settings, and Social Services under the guided objectives of the BEI basic performance exam, as well as the Texas Education Agency (TEA) standards of best practice for sign language interpreters.
4. Recognize and identify the effects of oppression, discrimination, power, and privilege influences within current varied populations within the Deaf and Hard of Hearing community and the interpreting profession by using preventive strategies and self-awareness skills.
5. Evaluating and applying ethical decisions deriving from the Code of Professional Conduct (CPC) guidelines for Sign Language Interpreters on the state and national levels.
6. Distinguish and generate best practices for independent self-care competencies including physical, mental, and emotional parameters.
7. Develop an awareness of the requirements, process, and maintenance of the sign language interpreting profession and credentialing from the State or National interpreter Certification registries.
8. Incorporate understanding and respect of the culture, language, and history of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing and interpreting community.
9. Ability to use accessible resources while seeking and fulfilling the requirements for a current portfolio and attain professional development by attending various avenues of training provided by local, state, and national organizations. Retain mentor(s) pertaining to the interpreter profession.