Fall 2023 Commencement Information
Date: Saturday, Dec. 16, 2023
Location: Wagstaff Gymnasium
The School of Humanities, Communications & Fine Arts
The School of Nursing & Health Sciences
The School of Engineering, Mathematics & Sciences
The School of Professional & Technical Programs &
The School of Skilled Trades and Continuing Studies
To ensure that all ceremonies are reasonably equal in duration, students graduating with the Associate of Arts in General Studies may be included in multiple ceremony times.
Tickets are not required for guests attending commencement, and there is no limit on how many guests each graduate may have.
Guests should plan to arrive for commencement 30 - 45 minutes before the ceremony begins.
So that all of our graduates and guests can celebrate this important event, airhorns and other noisemakers are not permitted at commencement. Balloons will not be allowed inside Wagstaff Gymnasium.
Guests can utilize lots S/R-14 and S-15 for parking (limited handicapped parking is available for the ceremony in lot F-7). Guests should enter Wagstaff Gymnasium through the main entrance facing Apache Pass.
Graduates should park in lot S/R-13 or S-12, and enter in the back of the OHPE building. A map of available parking can be found HERE.
Special Instructions for Graduates
TJC does not have a formal dress code for commencement; however, we encourage you to dress appropriately for the importance of this occasion (business or business casual is typical). Dark-colored clothing is best as it will blend in with your gown. Remember, you will be taking pictures on this day that will last for years! It is suggested that you wear shoes that will be comfortable for walking and standing in for extended periods. Please keep in mind that you will be required to navigate stairs to enter and exit the ceremony. (If you require any accommodations for a disability, please email Graduation@tjc.edu so that we can assist you).
Honor Cords & Regalia
Honor cords for institutional honors based on GPA (Cum Laude, Magna Cum Laude, Summa Cum Laude) are issued from the College along with the cap and gown. Graduates identified as military veterans will be given a stole and pin with their regalia.
Each student’s regalia will be reviewed at commencement check-in, and any unapproved regalia will be removed. Only approved regalia from a TJC-recognized organization, program, or department may be worn in addition to the cap and gown. Students are responsible for purchasing specialty regalia for any of the organizations listed below. Please contact the program director or club advisor with questions about ordering organizational regalia.
Only the following organizations have been approved for additional commencement regalia:
- Athletics – white stole/gold trim
- Chi Tau Epsilon – pink cords
- Dental Hygiene – purple Dental Hygiene stole and pin
- Early College High School – cords and medallion, military enlistment stole
- Honors Program – medallion
- Kappa Kappa Psi – blue KKP stole
- Occupational Therapy Assistant Program – teal OTA stole and pin
- Physical Therapist Assistant Program – turquoise PTA stole and pin
- PTK – blue/gold cords, gold PTK stole, and medals
- RNHS Programs – program’s pin
- Rusk Promise Program – red/black/gold cords
- Sigma Kappa Delta – pin and green/yellow cords
- Sign Language Interpreting – medallion
- TJC Promise Program – black/gold/white cords
A student may wear only one stole. If a member of multiple programs or organizations, the student must choose one stole to wear during the ceremony.
Recognized groups and programs must submit regalia requests to the Director of Student Life no later than October 1 (for the fall commencement) or March 1 (for the spring commencement). The request must include an exact replica or color picture of the stole, cord, medal, or pin. Students are responsible for the cost of additional commencement regalia.
Additional questions concerning approved regalia can be directed to The Center for Student Life and Involvement at (903) 510-2797.
Decoration of Mortar Boards
Below are some guidelines for decorating the mortarboard (cap) for the TJC commencement ceremony:
- Design must adhere to college rules and the student code of conduct
- Designs are encouraged to be positive and/or inspirational. Examples include:
- Highlight the hard work it took to reach this point
- Thank a parent, spouse, teacher, or friend
- Recognize the university where you are transferring or the job you will begin
- Spotlight your program of study
The following items are banned:
- Objects that dangle, overhang, or stick out from the cap; only flat decorations will be permitted
- Items hanging down the sides and back (bows, for example)
- Strands of lights
- Inappropriate content (no profanity, vulgarity, weapons/drugs/alcohol, heinousness, negative images, no political statements and/or references, criticism of other persons or groups, etc.)
Mortarboards will be reviewed for approval before entering Wagstaff Gymnasium. No markings or modifications are allowed on gowns.
Do not bring personal items that cannot fit in a single pocket underneath the gown with you to the commencement ceremony (purses, cosmetic bags, cell phones, etc.). There is no place in the facility to secure your belongings.
A professional photograph will be taken of each graduate as they cross the stage. Photographs will be available for purchase directly from the photographer: Gene's Photography. If you have questions for Gene's Photography they can be contacted at (903) 569-3484.
Graduates should arrive for check-in 45 minutes before their ceremony is scheduled to start. This will allow enough time for all graduates to be lined up for the processional. As multiple ceremonies are held throughout the day, each must begin at its scheduled time. Graduates must arrive at the requested time, as anyone arriving after the ceremony has begun will not have the chance to have their name read or to walk across the stage.
All commencement ceremonies will be live-streamed for those unable to attend.
Please monitor the Tyler Junior College Facebook page on graduation day to access the live stream.