Costa Rica Travel Study - May 13-22, 2019
Tyler Junior College is offering a ten-day service project in Costa Rica. The Project Goals:
- To actively participate in numerous outdoor service projects
- To meet the happiest people in the world
- To experience, understand and appreciate the cultural heritage of Costa Rica
- To engage in physical activities including hiking, biking, running, snorkeling, and surfing
- To explore a variety of natural environments in Costa Rica
- To engage in scientific investigations, including both botanical or agroforestry-centered and animal-focused projects
- To compare/contrast environmental and economic development policies in Costa Rica and US
- To explore many National Parks and enjoy the rainforest
Itinerary (subject to change)
- May 13 - Leave Tyler early for transfer to Dallas Love Field via SWA. Arrive in Liberia, Costa Rica at 2 p.m.
- Transfer to hotel, settle in, group dinner in Liberia.
- May 14 - Full day at various project sites (Quebrada Grande, San Antonio and Las Lilas).
- May 15 - Full day at various project sites with horseback riding. Despedida dinner
- May 16 - La Fortuna shopping and lunch
- May 17 - Hanging Bridges, Lago Arenal and overnight stay at thermal baths at Tabacon
- May 18 - Tabacon to Monteverde Lodge
- May 19 - Depart Monteverde. Arrive at Tamarindo Playa
- May 20 - Side trips to Tamarindo, beach, etc.
- May 21 - Leave beaches for Liberia hotel
- May 22 - Leave Liberia for return trip to Dallas
- Two Meals a Day
- Entrance Fees
- Land Transportation within Costa Rica and USA, Hotel Transfers
- Administration Fees and Orientation costs.
$1,000 will be awarded based on the following criteria:
- An essay of no less than 2 pages (4 copies) that
- describe your educational goals, and
- how those goals blend with the 3 promises of Tyler Junior College:
- a Quality Education,
- a Vibrant Student Life,
- and Community Service.
- An official transcript from the registrar (4 copies)
- One (1) letter of recommendation from a teacher (4 copies)
- With cover page (Name, address, telephone) entitling the packet. (4 copies)
- Submission deadline, upon registration
- Submit essays to Dr. K. (M. Khosrowshahi), Political Science, or Professor John Hays, Department Chair, Foreign Languages
- $100 non-refundable deposit due at the time of application
- Full payment is due upon registration
- Payment may be made by check or credit card. Make checks payable to Tyler Junior College.
Health, accident, baggage, and trip cancellation insurance is strongly recommended and is available from any travel agent.