Frequently asked questions | TJC

Frequently asked questions

Must I have a college degree in order to become a certified interpreter?

Yes. The applicant is required to have at least 60 semester hours completed or hold an associate's degree. In addition, consideration is being given to require new applicants to hold a bachelor's degree beginning in 2016 due to state laws possibly requiring the certification to become a license. (From DARS). To become nationally certified, one must have a BA, BS, or BAAS to take the performance test.