Family Learning Center
The Family Learning Center of Tyler was established in 2007, a collaborative project of the Literacy Council of Tyler, Tyler ISD, and TJC. It also serves as the TJC Child Development/Early Childhood Education Laboratory School for college students preparing for careers in early childhood professions.
- Our location at the TISD Douglas Elementary Campus Annex is convenient to Downtown Tyler, the Medical District, and several TISD schools.
- Teachers have an Associate Degree in Early Childhood or related field or are pursuing a degree; Support Staff have Child Development/Early Childhood course work too.
- Lunch and two snacks are provide daily; the cost of lunch is included in tuition.
Hours of Operation
Monday through Friday, 7:15 a.m. to 5:15 p.m.
Enrollment is open to any child 6 weeks to 5 years of age, provided the child care program and facility can meet the needs of the child.
Our Program is licensed to provide care for 54 children which makes it a small, family-type program with low teacher/child ratios; two teachers in each classroom.
$135/wk for ages 6 weeks—18 months. $125/wk for ages 18 months—5 years. Tuition is locked in for 2 years.
Learn about our philosophy, curriculum, enrollment information and policies and procedures.
Lynn Sitton, TJC Department Chairperson
Child Development/Early Childhood Program
- Experience: 25-plus years as teacher, center director, and Department Chairperson Child Development/Early Childhood Program at Tyler Junior College
- Education: B.S. Elementary Education; Kindergarten Endorsement from Texas Eastern University and M.Ed. Early Childhood Education from the University of Texas at Tyler
Carrol McGlaun, Director
- Experience: 27 years
- Education: TJC - Child Development/Early Childhood Credit Hours and B.B.A from SMU
Sherry Hunt, Administrative Assistant
- Experience: 16 years working in all areas of child care as a teacher (infants-preschool), assistant director, and curriculum coordinator
- Education: Associate Degree in Child Development - TJC
- Leticia Lopez
- Forrestine Jones
- Ana Espinosa
- Jennifer Blackburn
- Heather Tennison
- Maria Garcia
- Carolyn Blackstone
- Christina Blackburn
"Being a Child Development/Early Childhood educator allows me to train the future early childhood professionals and in turn "touch" the lives of hundreds of children each year."
TJC Department Chair, Child Development/Early Childhood
"It makes my heart sing to see the children learn and grow!"
Director, Family Learning Center
"I love watching children grow and learn as they bond with their teachers, and interact with each other as well as their environment."