Family Learning Center
The Family Learning Center of Tyler was established in 2007, a collaborative project of the Literacy Council of Tyler, Tyler ISD, and TJC. It also serves as the TJC Child Development/Early Childhood Education Laboratory School for college students preparing for careers in early childhood professions.
- Our location at the TISD Douglas Elementary Campus Annex is convenient to Downtown Tyler, the Medical District, and several TISD schools.
- Teachers have an Associate Degree in Early Childhood or related field or are pursuing a degree; Support Staff have Child Development/Early Childhood course work too.
- Lunch and two snacks are provide daily; the cost the meals are included in tuition.
Hours of Operation
The Family Learning Center of Tyler is open from 7:15 a.m. - 5:15 p.m.; Monday - Friday.
Enrollment is open to any child 6 weeks to 5 years of age, provided the child care program and facility can meet the needs of the child.
Our Program is licensed to provide care for 66 children which makes it a small, family-type program with low teacher/child ratios; two teachers in each classroom.
- Lynn Sitton, TJC Department Chairperson
- Kayla Hartweg, Director
- Christina Blackburn, Assistant Director
- Leticia Lopez
- Forrestine Jones
- Chloe Reid
- Megan Romine
- Heather Tennison
- Abigail Hood
- Ashley Loggins
- Sarah Lewis
"Being a Child Development/Early Childhood educator allows me to train the future early childhood professionals and in turn "touch" the lives of hundreds of children each year."
TJC Department Chair, Child Development/Early Childhood