Applying for VA Educational Benefits can be done at any time during the year.
- Applying for Chapters 33, 35, 30, 1606, 1607: You can do this by filling out an application online utilizing the Veterans Online Application (VONAPP). This application process may take up to 8-10 weeks.
- Chapter 35: If you are a son or daughter, under legal age, a parent or guardian must sign the application. This application process may take up to 8-10 weeks.
Once you submit your application, PRINT your application, as it will show your Confirmation Number. That is verification that you have submitted your VA application.
The goal of the application is to obtain a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the VA regarding your VA Educational Benefits.
Once you have received your Certificate of Eligibility (COE), bring the COE to the Veterans Coordinator’s office located in the Admissions Office, White Administrative Services Center.
- The following documents are needed to open your VA file.
- Confirmation number indicating you have applied for your VA benefits
- Member four (4) copy of your DD Form 214 (Indicates your discharge) or if you are in the Reserves or National Guard, a NOBE (Notice of Basic Benefits Eligibility) from your Reserve or Guard unit
- Student Schedule & Bill from the Cashier’s Office (not what you print from Apache Access), located adjacent to Financial Aid
- In order to be certified for your classes each semester, print off the appropriate Enrollment Certification Request form (ECRF) from the TJC Veterans Benefits website, complete the form, get your Student Schedule & Bill from the Cashier’s Office (not what you print off from Apache Access) and bring it to the Veterans Coordinator’s Office.
- The VA Coordinator will then certify you for your classes utilizing the ECRF. To be certified for your courses please register for courses shown ONLY on your current degree plan. (Certification at TJC is on the 12th Class Day for the Fall and Spring semesters and on the 4th Class Day for the Summer sessions.)
- For Chapters 30, 1606, and 1607 you will need to contact the VA Regional Office in Muskogee, OK (1-888-442-4551) every month you have requested certification. The VA requires notification every month in order to ensure your payment. Monthly verification is not necessary for Chapters 31, 33 and 35.
If you are not changing your Major and/or have no questions, please see the Veterans Benefits/Veterans Forms for the Certification Request Form. Complete and turn in the form along with a copy of your Student Schedule & Bill (SS&B) from the Cashier's Office (WASC building) to Mike Collins, the Veteran Affairs Coordinator, in the Admissions office.
Veteran Affairs Contact Information
Mike Collins, Admissions
Toll-Free: 800-687-5680 ext. 3750