Sign Language Interpreting
Welcome to TJC’s Sign Language Interpreter Training Program!
Twice Awarded Exemplary Status
Change is in the air! The department of the Sign Language Interpreter Training Program continues to modify its curriculum to meet the demands and requirements of the Board for Evaluation of Interpreters (BEI) Exams and the National Interpreter Certificate exam. As you browse our site, you will find information about our Associate of Applied Science Degree and our new Advanced Certificates in Healthcare and Legal Interpreting. In addition, we offer an ASL Skills Certificate for people who do not want to become an interpreter but want ASL Skills.
One thing that has not changed is the great need for certified sign language interpreters not only in Texas but throughout the United States!
- Sep 24, 2016 Interpreting? Demystifying Psyco-Educational Assessments Click here for more information. (Workshop will be at the West Campus)
- Interpreting (AAS)
- ASL Skills (Certificate- for those not wanting to interpret)
- Advanced Certificates: Healthcare or Legal
- Stephanie Deibert, Adjunct Professor
- Patrick Grona, Adjunct Professor
- Susie Grona, Adjunct Professor
- Cheryl Sloan, Adjunct Professor
Statement of Mission and Purpose: the purpose of the Sign Language Interpreter training program of Tyler Junior College is to prepare graduates for a career as interpreters serving the Deaf in school and in the community. Graduates of this program will have had extensive training in American Sign Language, American Deaf Culture and interpreting/transliterating (Sign and Voice)