Nursing, Associate Degree
DURING THE JULY 1- SEPTEMBER 15, 2015 APPLICATION PERIOD, THE ASSOCIATE DEGREE NURSING PROGRAM WILL BE ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE SPRING 2016 TRADITIONAL CLASS ONLY.
THE NEXT TRANSITION APPLICATION PERIOD WILL BE FEBRUARY 1- APRIL 25, 2016.
Please download your Spring 2016 application packet here.
Nursing is one of the fastest growing occupations in the United States. At Tyler Junior College, the Associate Degree Nursing Department offers three programs to become a Registered Nurse. The first is the traditional program, this is a 2 year program for students who have no nursing knowledge. The second is the LVN to ADN transition program, this is for licensed LVN’s to take a three semester program to become an RN. The last is the Paramedic to ADN program, this is for certified or licensed paramedics to transition to an RN, and this is also a three semester program.
Registered Nurses treat their patients, provide medical and emotional support to the patient and their family members, and also educate them and the community about various medical conditions, medical histories, and symptoms etc. they perform diagnostic tests and analyze the results, administer treatment and medications, and help with patient follow up and rehabilitation.
There are several different employment opportunities as an RN. RN’s can work in General and Surgical Hospitals, Doctor’s Offices, Nursing Care Facilities, Outpatient Facilities, and Home Health Services. Some RN’s progress to receive their Bachelor of Science in Nursing and their Master of Science in Nursing and are Nurse Educators in colleges and universities.
Nursing is a flexible career choice, with many different employment opportunities, shift rotations and locations of providing Health Care. There are 104 different Nursing specialties that an RN can train in and advance their education and career.
Associate Degree Nursing Application Periods
- Programs starting in the Fall - February 1 - April 25
- Programs starting in the Spring - July 1 - September 15
- Associate of Applied Science, Nursing
- Traditional Program - This is offered on the Tyler campus and the program starts every Fall and Spring semester.
- LVN to RN Program - This is offered in three locations; Tyler, Jacksonville and Lindale. Each program is three full semesters (Fall, Spring, Fall). Programs will start every three semesters
- Paramedic to RN track: this is offered as a hybrid program from the Tyler campus. The program is three full semesters (Fall, Spring, Fall). The program will start every three semesters.
Related TJC Organizations
- Student Nurse's Association (SNA)