THURSDAY DELAY: Due to the anticipation of freezing rain, TJC will open 10:30 a.m. Thursday, in time for classes to begin at 11:15 a.m.
About the Program
Program Mission Statement
The Honors Program at Tyler Junior College seeks to serve intellectually gifted, highly motivated, and exceptionally creative individuals by providing an interdisciplinary two-year experience that challenges students to approach their full potential within a community of fellow scholars. The program fosters an atmosphere of academic excellence by offering innovative seminar-style courses taught by select faculty who encourage habits of articulate communication, critical thinking skills, global patterns of thought and action, and leadership through service learning initiatives. In pursuing these goals, the TJC Honors Program will contribute to the image of Tyler Junior College as a place of serious academic inquiry.
Program Vision Statement
The Honors Program at Tyler Junior College produces inquisitive, community-minded leaders.
Students enrolled in the TJC Honors Program enjoy the following advantages:
- The program’s small, seminar-style classes are taught by TJC’s top instructors; enrollment in honors sections is limited to fifteen students, and most classes are discussion-based or participatory.
- Honors students enjoy exclusive access to the Honors Lounge located on the third floor of Rogers Student Center. The lounge is equipped with a computer lab and features free printing, a mini kitchen, coffee and tea, a lending library, and couches.
- Starting in fall 2013, honors students will occupy a dedicated floor in the new Ornelas dormitory complex, creating a true on-campus honors community: the Honors Living & Learning Center. This community space will feature an honors classroom and study area.
- Students are immersed in a community of like-minded peers who have impressive creative and intellectual gifts, come from diverse backgrounds and life experiences, and are motivated to succeed.
- The program provides cultural, social, and leadership activities such as travel opportunities (we sent students to Italy last summer!), movie nights, and frequent service learning initiatives.
- Students receive honors designation on their official transcripts and wear special honors regalia at graduation.
- The program helps students obtain transfer scholarships and apply for transfer to their chosen four-year university—anywhere in the world. Further, established articulation agreements make for a smooth transition to many regional four-year honors programs.