Learning Support Services
The Department of Learning Support Services offers academic support to encourage student enrollment and participation on a continual basis until graduation is achieved.
Available Support includes:
- Academic Success Lab (Potter Hall 003-B) which provides access to computers, tutors, and professors in order for students to complete assignments and receive learning support/tutoring.
- College Placement Test Prep Program which offers free assistance to students who want to review their skill sets before taking the TJC placement exam.
- Early Alert Program which operates via a Professor-referral system to identify students who are at-risk of academic non-completion and provide those students with resources to enable them to achieve completion of academic goals.
- Learning Support/Tutoring which provides FREE individual or group assistance to students who may have weak academic skills or to students who want to improve their grades.
- Supplemental Electronic Tutoring [PLATO] which provides 24/7 access via the Internet to tutorials for test preparation and/or grade improvement.
- Test-Out Program which encourages students enrolled in Developmental Education courses to engage in classroom instruction and re-take the TJC Placement Exam when the student feels he or she has gained a refreshed mindset of the skills required for TSI complete (college-ready) status.
- TJC Writing Center (Vaughn Library, 2nd floor) which is an on-campus facility that provides a supervised tutoring environment via one hour, one-to-one tutorials to any student regardless of type of written assignment or field of study.
- Quest Reading Comprehension Center (Vaughn Library, 1st floor) The Quest Center is open to all students who need help with reading
comprehension. Trained tutors are ready and eager to help students with
strategies to maximize reading and retention.