In addition to the traditional face-to-face option, students may choose to use online tutoring services. The Learning Services for Web Conferencing platform allows Tyler Junior College flexibility in the way students learn, collaborate, and make use of real-time tutoring opportunities.
In particular, this platform seeks out blended strategies that aim to increase learner interactivity, participation, and access for both online and in-person learners. The basic features expected from this platform is the ability to upload and display presentations, documents, or other media; a chat function; and a white board. The College is able to purchase various levels of participant limits and customize platform features based on its needs, for example: students can view in-person, online, and blended sessions at any time and location. They can also obtain supplemental materials distributed electronically during these sessions. Professors are encouraged to speak to students about online tutoring services in their “Online Orientation” and/or provide a link to the services from within their online course. Also, tutoring staff members often make presentations about their services during online orientations when invited by the professors.
Instructions for scheduling an online tutoring session
- Log on to your Apache Access account
- Click on the Get Tutoring link under Quick Links on the left-hand side of the screen.
- Under your Class Information tab, locate the class in which you want to receive tutoring and click on its corresponding Schedule Tutor Appt link.
- Select Online Tutoring when asked which location you prefer.
- Click on the calendar icon to select a day for tutoring.
- Click on the date in which you would like to schedule tutoring.
- Click on an “open” time to select the time you would like to receive tutoring.
- Click on the submit button to schedule the appointment.
Instruction for downloading Blackboard Instant Messenger
In order to have an online tutoring session, you must download Blackboard Instant Messenger to your computer.
- Search your TJC student email account for the “Join Tyler Junior College PROD Blackboard IM” invitation email. Follow the steps to download BBIM to your computer.
- If you cannot find the invitation, you must fill out a Service Now service request located in your Apache Access under the Need Help section.
- In your request, be sure to state that you need the Blackboard Instant Messenger invitation email sent to you.
- The IT department will resend the invitation email to you.
- Due to time sensitivity, you must first search your email for the invitation before filling out the Service Now request. Doing so will help speed along the process.
Online Tutoring through the Writing Center
Students that are interested in Writing Center tutoring electronically, please follow these instructions.
- Email professor's assignment, your written paper, and specific questions for tutor to Danna Baggett at email@example.com.
- Check email for message from Danna Baggett containing your paper with tutor's comments. The comments can be found in the margin of your paper. Papers will be returned 24-48 hours after submission, based on tutor availability.
Please, note that papers emailed to the Writing Center on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, will be returned on Monday or Tuesday of the next week. Electronic tutoring assignments are assigned to tutors to work on in between their face-to-face sessions.
Frequently asked Questions about Blackboard Instant Messenger
How do I get an account?
Search your student g-mail account for an email entitled “Join Tyler Junior College PROD on Blackboard IM”
How do I download Blackboard Instant Messenger to my computer?
To Download and Install Blackboard IM for Windows
- Log in to the Blackboard IM Settings page using your Blackboard IM ID and password. If you just created your account, you may already be logged in to the Blackboard IM Settings page. If you did not just create your account, or you need to download and install Blackboard IM again, go to http://www.blackboardim.com/ and sign in using your Blackboard IM ID and password.
- In the Download section, click the Windows 7, Vista, XP link. The Blackboard IM installer downloads to your hard drive.
- Double-click the BlackboardIMSetup file that was downloaded. The installer launches.
- Click OK.
- Click Next.
- Review the license agreement and click I Agree.
- Select whether you wish to install Desktop and QuickLaunch Shortcuts.
- Click Next.
- Select where you wish to install Blackboard IM.
- Click Install. Blackboard IM installs and a confirmation screen opens.
- Select whether you wish to run the program right away.
- Click Finish.
To Download and Install Blackboard IM for Macintosh
- Log in to the Blackboard IM Settings page using your Blackboard IM ID and password. If you just created your account, you may already be logged in to the Blackboard IM Settings page. If you did not just create your account, or you need to download and install Blackboard IM again, go to http://blackboardim.com and sign in using your Blackboard IM ID and password.
- In the Download section, click the Mac OS X link. The Blackboard IM installer downloads to your hard drive and the End User License Agreement opens.
- Review the license agreement and click Agree. The disk image opens.
- Drag the Blackboard IM icon to the Applications folder icon.
- Launch Blackboard IM from your Applications folder.
How do I log in?
To Log in to Blackboard IM
- Enter your Blackboard IM ID.
- Enter your Blackboard IM password.
- Click the sign in button.
How do I find my tutor once I am logged in?
- Log on to Blackboard Instant Messenger with your previously provided username. Enter your password.
- Click on the School tab.
- Under the Tutoring section, double click on the subject in which you will be receiving tutoring.
- In the new pop up window, type your purpose for joining.
- Your tutor’s name will show up, click on your tutor’s name and add to contacts.
- You may now begin chatting with your tutor.
- To have a video conference with your tutor, both your tutor and you must have a webcam. Click on the telephone icon to “join call.”
- To use the white board, click on the icon with the two pencils, to “start a collaboration.”
How can I talk to my tutor?
To Start a New Chat: Do one of the following in either the Contacts or Classmates tab:
- Double-click the name of the user you wish to contact.
- Select the name of the user you wish to contact and click
- Select the name of the user you wish to contact and press the Enter key on your keyboard.
- Select the name of the user you wish to contact and click Chat on the Tools menu.
- A new Chat window opens.
- Type your first message in the input area at the bottom.
- Press the Enter key on your keyboard. The Chat session starts and your message is sent.
To Start a New Call
To start a new call, do one of the following:
On the Contacts or Classmates tab
- Select the name of the user you wish to call and click the telephone icon.
- Select the name of the user you wish to call and press Ctrl+K (Windows) or Command+K (Macintosh).
- Select the name of the user you wish to call and choose Tools menu > Call >Invite to Call.
On the window for a Chat with the user you wish to call click the telephone icon.
The Audio & Video window opens. (And, if it is not already open, a Chat window for the user
also opens.) Initially, the call only uses audio. To use video as well, click the Video button.
How do I use the whiteboard?
How can I share my screen with my tutor?
Please, refer to the Blackboard User Guide for helpful instructions with easy to follow pictures to illustrate how to use the whiteboard and screen sharing.