Vocational nurse graduates contribute to the plan of care by collaborating with the interdisciplinary team members and with the patient's family. You will readily integrate technical skills and use of computers and equipment into practice. Vocational nurses represent the beginning level of the nursing practice continuum in the roles of Member of the Profession, Provider of Patient-Centered Care, Patient Safety Advocate, and Member of the Health Care Team.
Why Choose Vocational Nursing
With facilities in Tyler, Rusk and Lindale, the VN program is a convenient option for much of the East Texas area.
Our brand new Robert M. Rogers Nursing & Health Sciences building includes three floors of high tech training equipment.
Excellent Job Placement
Located in the heart of the medical district in Tyler, TJC provides an excellent gateway into hospital, home health and other healthcare professions.
Vocational Nursing is expected to grow by 16% over the next 10 years.
Nursing, Vocational (LVN) (Certificate)
Vocational nurses contribute to the plan of care by collaborating with the interdisciplinary team members and with the patient’s family. Our graduates can readily integrate technical skills and use of computers and equipment into practice. Our Vocational Nursing (VN) program is designed to prepare you to provide nursing care within a directed scope of practice under appropriate supervision.
Successful completion of TJC's VN curriculum leads to a Certificate of Proficiency. After successful completion of the curriculum, graduates are qualified to apply for the National Council Licensure Exam for Licensed Vocational Nurses.
Only students who have completed a program of education approved by the State Board of Nursing and who have successfully passed the state licensing examination are authorized to practice as licensed vocational nurses.
Who We Are
- Teresa Bloch, Clinical Professor - ADN
- Kim Brown, Professor - Vocational Nursing Education
- Jacob Cabrera, Professor/Coordinator - Vocational Nursing Education(Lindale)
- Edward Dushuanack, Professor - Vocational Nursing Education
- Sheri Gillis, Professor - Vocational Nursing Education
- Laura Kelly, Professor - Vocational Nursing Education
- Genny Kilgore, Professor - Vocational Nursing Education
- Sara Luce, Professor - Vocational Nursing Education
- Felicia Mayo, Professor/Coordinator - Vocational Nursing Education (Rusk)
- Michelle Nelson, Department Chair - Vocational Nursing
- Lisa Lewis,
- John Montalto,
How to Apply
TJC is an open admissions college; however, acceptance into the Vocational Nursing Program is limited. Please fill out and submit the Selective Admissions Application.