10th Annual Journey to Ecologically Diverse Costa Rica
Tyler Junior College is offering a ten-day service project in Costa Rica. The Project Goals:
- To actively participate in numerous outdoor service projects
- To meet the happiest people in the world
- To experience, understand and appreciate the cultural heritage of Costa Rica
- To engage in physical activities including hiking, biking, running, snorkeling, and surfing
- To explore a variety of natural environments in Costa Rica
- To engage in scientific investigations, including both botanical or agroforestry-centered and animal-focused projects
- To compare/contrast environmental and economic development policies in Costa Rica and US
- To explore many National Parks and enjoy the rainforest
Join us to develop your own respect for the history and beauty of Costa Rica.
What: Community service project in Costa Rica
When: May 14-May 23, 2018
Who: All TJC students are eligible
Cost: $2,390 per person
- Two Meals a Day
- Entrance Fees
- Land Transportation within Costa Rica and USA, Hotel Transfers
- Administration Fees and Orientation costs.
- May 14 – Leave Tyler early (+- 3:30 a.m.) for transfer to Dallas Love Field via SWA Arrive Liberia, Costa Rica 2 p.m.; transfer to hotel; settle in; group dinner in Liberia
- May 15 – Breakfast at hotel 6:45-7 a.m. Board bus for work sites (Quebrada Grande, San Antonio and Las Lilas) at 7:45 a.m. Spend full day at various project sites
- May 16 – Repeat above schedule. Full day at service sites with horseback riding, despedida dinner
- May 17 – Board bus at 7:45 a.m. for adventures in Guanacaste – ziplines, Palo Verde River tour w/lunch
- May 18 – Board bus at 7:45 a.m. for Hanging Bridges, Lago Arenal and overnight stay at thermal baths at Tabacon
- May 19 – Tabacon to Monteverde Lodge via ferry and mini-bus
- May 20 – Depart Monteverde. Arrive Playa Flamingo Hotel (or Playa Conchal)
- May 21 – Flamingo Hotel – side trips to Tamarindo, Guaitil Pottery Town, etc.
- May 22 – Leave beaches for Liberia hotel
- May 23 – Leave Liberia for return trip to Dallas
$1,000 will be awarded based on the following criteria:
- An essay of no less than 2 pages (4 copies) that
- describe your educational goals, and
- how those goals blend with the 3 promises of Tyler Junior College:
- a Quality Education,
- a Vibrant Student Life,
- and Community Service.
- An official transcript from the registrar (4 copies)
- One (1) letter of recommendation from a teacher (4 copies)
- With cover page (Name, address, telephone) entitling the packet. (4 copies)
- Submission deadline, January 29, 2017
- Recipients will be chosen by committee and notified by February 5, 2017
- Submit essays to Professor John Hays, Department Chair, Foreign Languages
- $100 non-refundable deposit due at the time of application
- Full payment due by February 15, 2018
Payment may be made by check or credit card. Make checks payable to Tyler Junior College.
Health, accident, baggage, and trip cancellation insurance is strongly recommended and is available from any travel agent.