Harmony & Understanding
- To be a part of H&U you must perform a live, singing and dancing audition. The audition typically is in conjunction with the scheduled scholarship auditions held by the TJC Choral/Vocal department in the spring of each year.
- Auditions take place on weekends beginning in early March and go through the month of April. You can find out the dates and times by contacting the music department by phone 903-510-2214.
- When you audition for H&U you should prepare 2 minute solo of a pop nature or Broadway show tune. It needs to be well prepared and polished. The song should compliment your voice and show off your best skills. Preparing the latest thing on the radio or on American Idol may or may not best represent your voice and abilities. The best thing to do is view some of the H&U promotional videos on this site and choose according to the styles and genres we are known for.
- The standard procedure is to sing your audition piece individually for the music faculty and then participate in a "group" choreography audition. You will be taught 1-2 minute dance routine in a group and will be observed by the H&U Director for evaluation and selection.
- You should bring printed music for the accompanist or bring a CD or some other pre-recorded accompaniment sound track.
- Adding your own "personal flair" with gestures, movement, etc. is welcome!
- It is recommended you dress in an appropriate way that makes a statement as to your style and character. Torn jeans, shirt tails out, plunging necklines, 4 inch heels, and other similar styles are not appropriate for auditioning. Be stylish but modest and tasteful at all times.
Some exceptions are made for those students unable to attend the scheduled choral/vocal scholarship auditions. Please notify the Director or the music department if you are unable to come to the scheduled auditions.
All students are eligible for a scholarship as long as they meet certain requirements. Fill out a music scholarship application and have a recommendation form filled out by a previous director(s) to be eligible for a scholarship. Both of these forms can be found in the related downloads. Return to the address listed on the bottom of the form prior to the audition dates.