Tyler Junior College


Disabilities FAQs

What services do you offer students with disabilities?
Support Services provides services to students with disabilities to insure accessibility to university programs. We offer accommodations counseling, community referrals, disability-related information, adaptive technology equipment, tutoring and interpreter services for academically related purposes. Reasonable and appropriate accommodations are reviewed and recommended on a student by student basis.  Support Services does not offer diagnostic testing, personal attendants, financial assistance or scholarships.

What constitutes a disability?
A disability is defined in the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and Section 504 of the Federal Rehabilitation Act of 1973 as a mental or physical impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities. Learning is an example of a major life activity. If you have a mental or physical condition, a history of such a condition, or a condition which may be considered by others as substantially limiting, you may have a legally defined disability.

What are academic accommodations?
Appropriate and reasonable academic accommodations create an equal access to education, as long as it doesn't require a substantial change in an essential element of the curriculum and class. This is determined by the Disability Review Committee. Accommodations may include an adjustment in the amount of time allowed to complete an exam, permission to tape record classroom lectures, a separate testing area with minimal auditory and visual distractions, volunteer note takers, etc.

What should I do if I have a disability and want to receive accommodations?
If you have a disability that is impacting your academic performance, you will need to provide acceptable documentation of that disability to the Office of Support Services. The documentation must be supplied by a qualified professional who is licensed or certified to diagnose the disability. An appointment should be made with a Support Services Counselor to review the documentation and discuss the request for accommodations.

What is acceptable documentation?
Acceptable documentation should include the following information:

  • Should be current (in most cases, within the last three to five years)
  • A specific diagnosis
  • Level of severity of the disability
  • Functional limitations due to the disability
  • Recommended academic accommodations

I received accommodations in high school or I had an Individualized Educational Plan (IEP). Can I use the IEP as documentation?
The IEP can be used a supplemental resource of information, but it cannot be used as documentation of a disability.

How involved are my parents in the process of requesting accommodations?
Students who are 18 years of age or older are legally recognized as adults. Students are responsible for their own accommodation requests and disability-related issues at TJC. Parents are welcome to discuss accommodations with their child, but the student is responsible to self advocate for themselves at TJC. Parents are an outstanding source of support for students, so an open dialogue between parents and students should be maintained.

Disability Services

Potter 105
Phone: 903-510-2878
Toll Free: 800-687-5680 ext. 2878
Video Phone for Deaf Student Services Office: 903-705-7678
Fax: 903-510-2894