The mission of the Tyler Junior College Department of Dental Hygiene is to advance the mission of the college by providing a quality education that respects the individual, encourages student learning and promotes lifelong advancement. It is the expectation that this department will meet the needs of the dental profession by providing competent entry-level dental hygiene graduates and those of the community by providing quality dental hygiene services.
The following goals are integral to accomplish the mission of the Tyler Junior College Department of Dental Hygiene.
- Prepare competent entry-level dental hygiene professionals.
- Develop skills to advance the dental hygiene profession through lifelong learning.
- Serve as a resource for the public and allied dental communities.
Learning Outcomes/Competencies for the Entry-Level Dental Hygienist
The entry level dental hygienist must be able to
- Discern and manage ethical issues of dental hygiene practice in a rapidly changing environment.
- Acquire and synthesize information in a critical, scientific and effective manner.
- Improve the knowledge, skill and values of the profession.
- Provide planned educational services using appropriate interpersonal communication skills and educational strategies to promote optimal health.
- Initiate and assume responsibility for health promotion and disease prevention activities for diverse populations.
- Systematically collect, analyze and accurately record baseline data on the general, oral and psychosocial health status using documentation methods consistent with health care standards.
- Discuss the condition of the oral cavity, identify actual and potential problems including etiological and contributing factors, as well as recommend the alternative treatments available.
- Provide treatment in compliance with the overall treatment plan that includes preventive and therapeutic procedures to promote and maintain oral health and assist the patient in achieving oral health goals.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of planned clinical and educational services and modify as necessary.
Dental Hygiene Contact Information
Office: Pirtle T-116
Advising contact: 903-510-2662