What duties does a Surgical Technologist perform?
A Surgical Technologist is a member of the operating room team that handles the instruments, supplies, and equipment necessary for the surgical procedure. He/she has an understanding of the procedure and is constantly on vigil maintenance of the sterile field.
How long is the Program?
The TJC Surgical Technology Program is a 9 month certificate program with an optional associate degree plan. Once prerequisites have been achieved, the Program itself will begin in late August and end in May. The associate degree plan will take an additional two semesters.
Are classes offered at night or on the weekends?
Classes are only offered during the day.
Will I get much actual hands-on training?
Yes! The Surgical Technology program is a competency based educational program designed to meet the employer’s needs. The program is equipped with a surgical technology lab and the students will receive extensive hands-on training in various clinical settings. Employers are confident that our students can start to work and be immediately productive.
When do classes start?
There is only one class of surgical technology each year. Classes begin in the Fall semester and end in the Spring semester. Classes and lab are located at the West Campus facility.
Is it easy to get a job after I complete the Program?
If you want a job, you should be able to find one. Our department is endorsed and recognized by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Departments as an excellent training facility in surgical technology.
Do I have to take the THEA test?
Both the Certificate of Proficiency and the Associate in Applied Science degree require the THEA or alternative exam. The THEA or alternative test scores must be on file at TJC before applying to the program.
Any additional supplies needed for the Program?
- Lab jacket - $40
- Surgical Technology uniform x two sets - $45
- Shoes with great support (leather, no clogs) - $50 or more
- 3 ring binder, 3 inch x3 - $15
- 3 ring binder, 2 inch x 2 - $12
- Three-prong folder x 4 - $2
- Pens and pencils - $5
- OSHA approved safety glasses - $15
- Hepatitis vaccine – health fee $30 (included in tuition payment)
- Surgical Technology pin - $22.50
- National Certification exam - $190 (included in spring semester tuition). This test is a required accreditation exam.
- AST professional student membership - $40 (included in spring semester tuition)
- Drug Screening and Criminal Background check - $10-21
- Small pocket memo pad for taking notes in Clinical area - $2
- Your choice of scrub uniforms for the classroom – prices vary