Presidential Honors Scholarship
These scholarships are awarded to incoming freshman whose application demonstrates academic excellence, leadership, extracurricular or community involvement and who meet at least ONE of the three following criteria:
- Rank in the top ten percent of their high school class at the completion of their junior year;
- Rank in one of the "top ten" positions of their high school class at the completion of their junior year AND demonstrate college readiness as defined through the Texas Success Initiative.
- Achieve at least a 3.5 unweighted high school GPA AND meet one of the following ACT or SAT test scores:
ACT-Composite score of 26 or higher with a minimum of 19 on both the English and Mathematics sub-tests.
SAT-Combined score of 1200 on the Math and Critical Reading sub-tests with a minimum of 500 on each.
The Presidential Honors Scholarship will cover the full cost of tuition and fees for two years (fall and spring only). Students must enroll full time and participate in the TJC Honors Program (www.tjc.edu/honors). An additional $1,000 per year will be awarded to students who choose to live on campus in the Presidential Honors Living and Learning Community in the Ornelas Residential Complex.
Students who graduate from one of TJC’s service area high schools and meet one of the first two criteria listed above are guaranteed the Presidential Honors Scholarship upon successful submission of the TJC scholarship application and the Honors Program application. All other applicants will be awarded based on a competitive review process. Apply by May 1st using the current TJC scholarship application.
How do students accept the Presidential Honors Scholarship Award?
- All students who graduate from a high school in TJC’s service area and rank in the top ten percent will receive an offer letter from the president of the College with instructions for accepting the award.
- All students who meet the minimum requirements and wish to apply for a Presidential Honors Scholarship must complete the online scholarship application and the online Honors Program application.
- Application deadline: May 1st.
- Scholarship related questions: Katie Hall (firstname.lastname@example.org)
These scholarships are awarded to incoming traditional freshman whose application demonstrates academic excellence, leadership, extracurricular or community involvement and who have taken either the SAT or ACT. The selection committee will consider test scores but no minimum is required. Awards are for $1,000 per year for two years and require full-time enrollment. Apply by March 1st using the current TJC scholarship application.
These scholarships are awarded to incoming freshman and continuing students and are based on a variety of attributes including academic merit, leadership, need, choice of study, and other factors. Need-based scholarships require that the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) be completed according to respective deadlines. Award amounts vary and require full-time enrollment. Generally, these scholarships are awarded one academic year at a time and require reapplying each year. Apply by March 1st using the current TJC scholarship application.
Fine and Performing Art Scholarship
Also known as performance grants, these scholarships are awarded to members of certain performing groups. Award amounts vary and will pay toward the student’s tuition and fees only. Full-time enrollment is required. These scholarships are not awarded through the TJC scholarship application. Each area has its own award process which may require separate application and try-outs. For more information, contact your specific area of interest.
- Apache Band
- Apache Belles
- Apache Cheerleaders
- Concert Choir, Harmony and Understanding, and Chamber Singers
- Organ, Piano, Strings, Guitar
- Student Senate
- Theatre/Music Theatre
- Visual Art
Also known as performance grants, these scholarships are awarded by the Tyler Junior College athletic program according to Region XIV Athletic Conference and NJCAA guidelines. Award amounts vary and full-time enrollment is required. Currently Tyler Junior College offers scholarships in football, men’s and women’s basketball, men’s and women’s tennis, men’s and women’s soccer, men’s and women’s golf, women’s volleyball and athletic training. These scholarships are not awarded through the TJC scholarship application. Each area has its own award process which may require separate application and try-outs. For more information, contact Apache Athletics.
The Legacy Scholarship Program establishes endowment-based funding for performance grants to ensure that these outstanding extracurricular programs continue to be a vital part of the student experience. Select students are named as a Legacy Scholar through the respective area from which they are receiving a performance grant.
Short URL to this page: www.tjc.edu/ScholarshipPrograms