THURSDAY DELAY: Due to the anticipation of freezing rain, TJC will open 10:30 a.m. Thursday, in time for classes to begin at 11:15 a.m.
The advising process at Tyler Junior College is a partnership between the Academic Advisor and the Student Advisee, with a common purpose; to identify and fulfill the educational goal desired by the Student Advisee. The Advisor and the Advisee have specific responsibilities in this partnership.
Student Advisee Responsibilities
- Complete any required testing and provide required educational documents, such as transcripts, test scores, etc. to Admissions for evaluation well before advising session.
- Identify an educational goal or major based on your own personal work and life values, interests and abilities.
- Contact and make an appointment with your Academic Advisor or seek a walk in visit when required or as needed for assistance in staying on track toward that goal.
- Identify your Academic Advisor based on your major and seek advisement or assistance early to be prepared for online registration, transfer, or graduation.
- Prepare for and bring necessary information to advising sessions if needed.
- Complete your own online registration each semester after advisement if no holds in place preventing it.
- Pay attention to deadlines for registration, payment, drop dates, graduation application, financial aid, scholarships, etc.
- Read all emails from Advisors in Apache Access, and respond as needed.
- Call and cancel appointment in a timely manner if unable to keep it.
- Become aware of and follow institutional policies, procedures, and requirements.
- Follow through with any plan of action suggested during each advising session.
- Request reassignment to a different Advisor if necessary.
- Visit Career Services for assistance in identifying a career choice if undecided.
- Seek academic assistance, tutoring, crisis counseling or other help as needed.
- Accept final responsibility for your own education.
- Read the catalog, registration guide, student conduct handbook, etc.
- Attend and participate in class, study, and take responsibility for final grade received.
- Contact your transfer institution early to confirm you are completing proper courses toward intended upper level major.
Academic Advisor Responsibilities
- Help the Student Advisee to develop a realistic educational plan consistent with his/her abilities and interests.
- Interpret test scores and suggest appropriate semester courses.
- Monitor Student progress toward educational/career goals.
- Interpret/explain instructional policies, procedures, and requirements for the Student.
- Lift advisor holds and approve courses for registration, drops, withdrawals, and change of major.
- Maintain an advising file for each Student Advisee.
- Refer Student to other resources on campus and in the community as needed.
- Assist Student Advisee in identifying career opportunities and transfer institutions.
- Provide transfer information and guidance.
- Inform Student of special services available to them for tutoring, remediation, academic assistance, and other needs.
- Participate in Advisor training sessions to keep up to date on current information that benefits the student.