Student Advisee/Academic Advisor Responsibilities
The advising process at Tyler Junior College is a partnership between the Academic Advisor and the Student Advisee, with a common purpose; to identify and fulfill the educational goal desired by the Student Advisee. The Advisor and the Advisee have specific responsibilities in this partnership.
Student Advisee Responsibilities:
• Complete any required testing and provide required educational documents, such as transcripts, test scores, etc. to Admissions for evaluation well before advising session.
• Identify an educational goal or major based on your own personal work and life values, interests, abilities and career goals.
• Contact and make an appointment with your Academic Advisor or seek a walk in visit when required or as needed for assistance in staying on track toward that educational/career goal.
• Identify your Academic Advisor based on your major and seek advisement or assistance early to be prepared for online registration, transfer, or graduation.
• Prepare for and bring necessary information to advising sessions if needed.
• Bring your TJC ID, official government issued or other valid photo ID to each advising visit.
• Follow the degree plan for the major chosen by you and course recommendations made by your Academic Advisor after discussion of semester/graduation/transfer requirements.
• Complete your own online registration each semester after advisement if no holds are in place preventing you from registering.
• Pay attention to deadlines for registration, payment, drop dates, graduation application, financial aid, scholarships, etc.
• Monitor your degree plan in Degree Works within Apache Access each semester and see your Academic Advisor if you need to change your major or change your courses.
• Read all emails from Academic Advisors in Apache Access, and respond as needed.
• Use your official TJC email address in Apache Access when corresponding with Academic Advisors.
• Call and cancel any appointment in a timely manner if unable to keep it.
• Become aware of and follow institutional policies, procedures, and requirements in the TJC Catalog, Student Handbook and Financial Aid Handbook.
• Follow through with any plan of action suggested during each advising session.
• Request reassignment to a different Academic Advisor if necessary.
• Visit Career Services for assistance in identifying a career choice if undecided.
• Seek academic assistance, tutoring, crisis counseling or other help as needed.
• Attend and participate in class, discuss course progress with your professor, study, and take responsibility for final grade received.
• Contact your transfer institution early in your first year to confirm you are completing proper courses toward your intended upper level major at that University.
• Accept final responsibility for your own education.
Academic Advisor Responsibilities:
• Help the Student Advisee to develop a realistic educational plan consistent with his/her abilities and interests.
• Interpret test scores and suggest appropriate semester courses for the major chosen by the student.
• Monitor Student progress toward educational/career goals during advising visits.
• Interpret/explain instructional policies, procedures, and requirements for the Student.
• Lift advising holds and approve courses for registration, drops, withdrawals, and change of major.
• Maintain advising documentation for each Student Advisee.
• Refer Student to other resources on campus and in the community as needed.
• Assist Student Advisee in identifying career opportunities and transfer institutions as needed.
• Provide transfer information and guidance as needed.
• Inform Student of special services available to them for tutoring, remediation, academic assistance, crisis counseling, Degree Works audit, Apache Access and other needs.
• Participate in Advisor training sessions to keep up to date on current information that benefits the student toward their educational/career goal.