Welcome to Academic Advising!
All new incoming Freshmen with less than 24 credit hours are required to see an Advisor. An advising hold prevents registration until advisement is completed and the hold is lifted. Prior to seeing an Advisor, please complete Admissions and testing requirements.
If you believe you might be exempt from taking the TSI Assessment due to high enough scores on the SAT/ACT/STAAR EOC, please verify at www.tjc.edu/testingexemptions. If still in doubt please contact the Admissions office at 903-510-2523. If you took a special TSI class at your high school that might waive the TSI Assessment, please turn in that score to Admissions. Please turn in your meningitis shot record and official High School/College transcripts to Admissions or bring copies with you to your advising session.
If you are traveling here to see an Academic Advisor, please verify testing needs first. Arrive to the Testing Center early morning if you find that testing is needed so that you will have sufficient time to test before seeing an Advisor. Please note that during busy times Academic Advisors are seeing students on a walk in basis and will assist each student as quickly as possible. A government issued photo ID must be presented before advisement can take place. We look forward to seeing you at TJC!!
Please always call ahead at 903-510-2425, 2662, or 2347 to verify Advisor availability when walking in, especially if traveling from a distance.
1. Submit the following to the admissions office in the White Administrative Services Center:
- A completed admissions application online here.
- Official high school transcript or GED score report.
- Test scores (i.e., TSI Assessment, ACT, SAT, TAKS, STAAR EOC's for Algebra II and English III) if not listed on the high school transcript. If you took a special TSI class in High School please submit that score.
2. Determine Texas Success Initiative (TSI) or testing status through the Admissions office:
- If TSI Assessment already taken or TSI exempt or TSI waived, go to step 3.
- If TSI Assessment is needed but has not been taken, you will need to first do a Pre-Assessment then print the certificate of completion and bring with you to the Testing Center to take the TSI Assessment. The Testing Center is located on the second floor of Rogers Student Center. There is a fee of $35 for the test. You can pay with cash or check in the cashier's office or if you pay by debit/credit card you will need to pay in the cashier's office before testing and bring your receipt. Allow approximately 4 hours to test. Government issued Photo ID required. The TSI Assessment is administered on a walk in basis. Testing Center Hours
3. Meet with an Academic Advisor after receiving test scores for assistance in course selection.
An Advisor helps students with the following:
- Interpretation of test scores
- Selecting a major
- Degree Plan and transfer information
- Course selection
- Information on campus resources
- Information on the registration process and clearance to register.
- Look for available course days and times on Apache Access or the course search.
- Register online in Apache Access before deadline.
- Pay tuition and fees by the deadline. Secure parking permit, student ID card, and lanyard.