Welcome to Academic Advising! We look forward to seeing you!
New students must complete the ADMISSIONS and TESTING process prior to seeing an Academic Advisor. Official High School and prior college transcripts and all test scores should be submitted to Admissions to determine whether further testing is required.
If you believe you might be exempt from taking the TSI Assessment due to high enough scores on the SAT/ACT/STAAR EOC, please verify at www.tjc.edu/testingexemptions. If still in doubt please contact the Admissions office at 903-510-2523. If you took a special TSI class at your high school that might waive the TSI Assessment, please turn in that score to Admissions. Please turn in official High School/College transcripts to Admissions or bring copies with you to your advising session. Meningitis shot records for students under age 21 are required prior to registration into courses.
If you are traveling here to see an Academic Advisor, please verify testing needs first. Arrive to the Testing Center early morning if you find that testing is needed so that you will have sufficient time to test before seeing an Advisor. Please note that during peak advising times close to the start of semester registration, Academic Advisors see students on a walk in basis and will assist each student as quickly as possible. A government issued photo ID must be presented before advisement can take place.
If you are unsure what your major will be, are considering General Studies or completing Basics, please visit Career Services to complete career assessments to help narrow down your major based on your personality, interests, values and skills.
We also recommend spending time in our Career Coach site which shows real world jobs and careers in the East Texas area, salaries, job outlook and the majors at TJC which will start preparing you for those fields.
Please always call ahead at 903-510-2425, 2662, or 2347 to verify Advisor availability when walking in, especially if traveling from a distance.
New student steps:
1. Submit the following to the admissions office in the White Administrative Services Center:
- A completed admissions application online here.
- Official high school transcript or GED score report.
- Test scores (i.e., TSI Assessment, ACT, SAT, TAKS, STAAR EOC's for Algebra II and English III) if not listed on the high school transcript. If you took a special TSI class in High School please submit that score.
2. Determine Texas Success Initiative (TSI) or testing status through the Admissions office:
- If TSI Assessment already taken or TSI exempt or TSI waived, go to step 3.
- If TSI Assessment is needed but has not been taken, you will need to first do a Pre-Assessment then print the certificate of completion and bring with you to the Testing Center to take the TSI Assessment. The Testing Center is located on the second floor of Rogers Student Center. There is a fee of $35 for the test. You can pay with cash or check in the cashier's office or if you pay by debit/credit card you will need to pay in the cashier's office before testing and bring your receipt. Allow approximately 4 hours to test. Government issued Photo ID required. The TSI Assessment is administered on a walk in basis. Testing Center Hours
3. Meet with an Academic Advisor for assistance with course selection after receiving your test scores.
An Advisor helps students with the following:
- Interpretation of test scores
- Selecting a major
- Degree Plan and transfer information
- Course selection
- Information on campus resources
- Information on the registration process and clearance to register.
6. Pay tuition and fees by the deadline. Secure parking permit, student ID card, and lanyard.