Frequently Asked Questions
Am I Eligible to live on-campus?
To live on-campus at Tyler Junior College, you must be a TJC enrolled student taking a minimum of 12 semester hours during a Fall and/or the Spring semester (3 hours during a Summer School session). Residents who drop below this requirement need to notify the Residential Life and Housing office. Residents enrolled in less than 12 semester hours may be asked to leave the Residence Hall.
To live on-campus at Tyler Junior College, all Housing charges must be paid in full, or arrangements to pay must be completed. Payments can be made through the TJC Cashier’s Office located in the White Administration building. There are 2 ways to pay the Housing charges.
- Out of Pocket or Private Pay – the complete amount paid before move-in
- Financial Aid - provide Housing with a copy of the Financial Aid award letter
What is the Cost to Live On-Campus?
The current Fall and Spring semester prices are for room, required meal plan, water, electricity, basic cable and internet access.
- Louise H. & Joseph Z. Ornelas Residential Complex - $3,600.00 per semester
- Bateman, Claridge, Holley, Vaughn, Sledge and Hudnall Halls - $2,550.00 per semester
- Lewis Hall - $2,375.00 per semester
The MayMester and Summer Term prices are for room, water, electricity, basic cable TV and internet access. At this time, no meal plan is available during MayMester or Summer Terms.
- MayMester 2014 Rate - $375 for the session
- Summer Term 2014 Rate - $625 per session
Does completing the Housing Application guarantee me a space?
No, it does not. Only Applicants who have a complete Housing Application file (steps 2, 3, 4 and 5 below) are eligible for placement. Applicants are placed based on the date the Housing application file is complete. All placement is done on a first completed file, first placed basis.
For Fall 2014, the priority placement deadline is March 1, 2014. Applicants who have a complete Housing file prior to March 1, 2014 will be placed during March. After March 1, 2014 all new, completed Fall 2014 Housing applications will be automatically put on a Waiting List. Because of the Waiting List status, applicants applying on or after March 1, 2014 can delay payment of the $100 non-refundable application processing fee. If a placement is done from the Waiting List the applicant has 10 days to pay the $100 non-refundable application processing fee.
No applicants can use Financial Aid or Scholarships to pay the application processing fee. This fee is non-refundable, is not a Housing deposit, and does not guarantee a space in a Hall.
To be considered for placement in a Residence Hall for Fall 2014 a student must:
- Be admitted to Tyler Junior College through the Admissions Office and receive an A-number from Admissions.
- Complete and submit a separate on-line Housing application which can be found on Apache Access.
- Complete and submit the Background Check form. The form can be downloaded, completed, signed, scanned and e-mailed to the Housing Office. (email@example.com) The form can also be faxed to the Housing Office. (903-510-3267) A background check is processed for all students living on-campus.
- Pay the $100 non-refundable application processing fee except those who apply on or after March 1, 2014. Those who apply on or after March 1, 2014 will pay the $100 fee if they are placed.
- Submit proof of receiving the required meningitis vaccination (MCV4) to the TJC Admissions office. This requirement was passed by the Texas Legislature (Senate Bill 1107, 82nd Legislature). Without the vaccine, you CANNOT enter college.
Once you’re assigned a room, housing charges will be posted to your account.
What is the address if someone wants to send mail to me?
Your Residence Hall name, Room number
1415 South Baxter Avenue
Tyler, Texas 75701