In 2010-11 Tyler Junior College is continuing to move forward on much needed maintenance projects, including the complete renovation of the science labs in Genecov, underground utilities work, and a new state-of-the-art planetarium.
As of September 2010, the Wagstaff Gym renovation is winding down, with the south end completed in August and the north end complete by November. The north side of Wagstaff/OHPE will continue to be used as a staging area for the work being done by HGR General Contractors on Genecov and the planetarium. Please use caution in this area.
Construction began on Hudnall Planetarium. Also this month, layout began for underground utilities upgrades on the west side of Pirtle Tech, Phase 2.
Because of the ongoing construction and the danger to vehicles and pedestrians from heavy equipment, we have decided to close the lower Genecov parking lot. We understand the disruption this will create; however, safety for our students, faculty, staff, and construction crews must be our first priority. To facilitate foot traffic, we have marked off a footpath between Pirtle Tech and Genecov, so students will be able to easily navigate between the two buildings.
In the upcoming months, windows in Potter, Sledge and Claridge will be replaced, and renovation of the restrooms on the first floor of Pirtle outside the Deli Depot and Potter Hall will begin, as well as the second and third floors of Rogers Student Center. A Phase II plan is being put together to continue the West Campus "facelift".
Future plans include looking into remodeling the shower and restroom facilities at OHPE Center.
As always, BE CAUTIOUS of construction zones and posted signs. Safety on the TJC campus is No. 1 priority.
Please see our related downloads to see more information on the following projects -
- Fall 2010 Infrastructure Timeline Report
- Spring-Summer 2010 PowerPoint Presentation
- Project Schedules - Overall Master Plan, Underground Utilities, Misc. Projects, Central Plant Chiller Schedule
- Chilled and Hot Water Loops (Ongoing)
- Removing Above Ground Electrical (ongoing)
- Air Handlers
- West Campus (Complete late Fall 2010) - Estimated Schedule for HVAC Renovations
- Central Plant (Complete late Fall 2010)
- Genecov (January 2011-December 2011)
- Center for Earth and Space Science Education (October 2010-August 2011)
- Roof Replacements - OHPEC (Complete late Fall 2010)
- Wagstaff Gym (Nov. 1 completion) - Power Point rendering
- OPHE Pool Updates/Repairs (closed Nov. 25, 2010 - Jan. 17, 2011)
Director of Marketing and Public Information
Facilities and Construction