Fitness & Recreation
Fitness and Recreation
Get fit, have fun and learn a new hobby! The TJC School of Continuing Studies offers a wide variety of fitness and recreation classes from aquatics to Zumba!
About the OHPE Center
Visit the OHPE Center webpage for more information.
Guidelines for Your Safety & Comfort
What to Bring
Swimsuit, towel, swim shoes (optional). NO COTTON T-SHIRTS worn in pool. Dressing area and showers are available for your convenience.
Humanitarian Aid Service Provider
Tyler Junior College is a contracted humanitarian aid service provider for three Cantex nursing homes in Vidor, Groves, and Silsbee, Texas during periods of evacuation in the event of a hurricane. The services TJC provides to these nursing homes and their residents during severe weather instances may force schedule alterations or the cancellation of courses meeting in the Ornelas Health & Physical Education Center, which serves as an evacuation shelter. In such instances, individuals registered for courses will be notified as soon as possible. All classes delayed or postponed due to evacuees being housed in OHPEC will be rescheduled at the earliest possible convenience.
General Facility Policies
- Parent or acting guardian must accompany and supervise children under the age of sixteen (16) while within the Ornelas Health and Physical Education Center (OHPE).
- Children under seven (7) years of age must be accompanied in the locker room by a parent or acting guardian.
- College policies regarding use of the OHPE Center facilities will be enforced by TJC staff members.
- Swimmers with shoulder-length or longer hair will be required to wear a swim cap.
- Due to limited deck area around the swimming pool and safety precautions, parent or acting guardian is not permitted to attend swimming lessons with their children.
- Parent or acting guardian is welcome to watch their children during class time from the upstairs viewing window or the patio viewing window.
- Children not yet potty trained must wear a swim diaper or rubber pants while in the pool.
- It is strongly recommended that all swimmers shower with soap before entering the pool.
The continuing education courses offered at the Ornelas HPE Center give each registered student access only to that particular room/class in which they are registered. The other facilities and rooms of the OHPE Center, including the Cardiorespiratory Room, Nautilus Weight Room, Racquetball Courts, and Senior Walking Roundup, may be acquired by paying additional registration fees for these areas.
Children Under 18
All children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a registered adult in the water and supervised at all times by that registered adult.
The pool will close if there is lightning and/or thunder with a waiting period of 30 minutes, before pool will be reopened.
OHPE Usage Fees
There are three different levels of usage available:
- Single (1 individual)
- Family (up to 2 adults and 4 children. Each additional child will be $10)
- 55 plus
Includes use of the OHPE indoor track, weight rooms, cardio room, and racquetball courts during regular business hours. The minimum age to use both weight rooms and cardio room is 16 years old. Some spaces may not be available for use due to credit or continuing education classes during specific times. See the OHPE Usage page to the right to register.
Racquetball Usage Fee
The OHPE racquetball courts during regular business hours. Children ages 8 to 16 must be accompanied by a registered adult. No reservations can be made. Courts are available on a first come first serve basis. See the OHPE Usage page to the right to register.
Aquatics Facility Usage
Includes use of the OHPE Aquatics Center during specified lap and recreation swim times. Children under 18 must be accompanied by an adult. See the OHPE Usage page to the right to register.
M-F 6:00 - 7:50 a.m.
M-F 11:00 a.m. - 12:50 p.m.
M&W 8:00 - 8:50 p.m.
M&W 6:30 - 7:50 p.m.
Sat. Noon - 2:00 p.m.
Sun. 2:00 - 4:00 p.m.
American Red Cross
Tyler Junior College is the exclusive provider of American Red Cross Learn-to-Swim, Lifeguarding and Water Safety Instructor Courses in the Tyler Area. We are the only swimming lesson provider in the Tyler area with certified American Red Cross instructors and lifeguards.